Sign in to follow this  
Rocha

Canon 20D vs Nikon D70

Hi all, I am trying to decide between those two and would like some feedback if possible. I currently use a Nikon F100, but don't have much glass, just the 60 and the 16 and a cheap zoom for topside. The 60 would work fine on the D70, but I'd probably need something else for wide angle. So glass is not a reason for not switching to Canon.

Now, I was almost buying a D70 but I tested one and I found the autofocus *very* slow compared to my F100. My question is, how faster is the 20D 9 point autofocus? The greatest advantage of the 20D would be TTL on Ikelite, that would help a lot with my fish pics, so if someone had a chance to compare the D70 with the 20D, please let me know what you think of the autofocus.

Thanks,

Luiz

Hi, I posted this about 4 months ago and had no replies, maybe it was because there was not many Canon 20d owners around. Now I think that camera is getting more popular. I haven't made my choice yet (between the 20D and the D70), but I'd like to hear from you on the subject (especially how the speed of the autofocus compares), since the new rumors are that Nikon's replacement for the D100 is the now cheap D2h (and I won't buy it, it's too big and the housings for it are too expensive) and there won't be a D200.

Thanks!

I'll say straight up that I don't have any experience with the 20D. And I would also add that both the D70 and the 20D are very good cameras and you'll find lots of happy owners here.

I think the 20D is a slightly better camera than the D70. While for UW use the D70 at the moment has a few more housing options. And as far as I know - there is not one yet from Sea & Sea for the 20D.

I'm not completely sure about this, but to realise TTL with the canon you will have to buy new strobes (I think) or certainly certain housing brands.

Alex

p.s. I really think that a lot of Nikon users would be very happy to see a D200 announced early in 2005. With increased MP and AF over the D100 and D70. Of course I have no idea if that will happen. I don't think that the D2H answers most people's need for the D200, and the price reduction that sets it up as one has only happened in the States, I think.

I don't have any experience with the 20D and I won't enter to witch one is better, only to the money issue. the 20D cost 500$ more then the D70, also the lens you have(60 & 16), costs almost 1000$, if you sell them and buy new Canon lens you'll probably lose few more hundreds so at the end a switching to Canon will cost you almost as twice then buy the D70.

You have to decide if the different betweens the cameras is worth it. To me is obvious - no, I'll buy with this money more lens/strobes.

(And there is no connection of course that I have the Nikon D70 :wink: )

I am in the same situation as you Luiz (exept I have the F80 :-) ). I have decided to go with the Nikon D70 since I can get it for $787, which seems hard to beat. Spending that much less money than the 20D I feel it is going to be easier to upgrade later on.

Luiz,

Both are great cameras, I was a die hard Nikon film guy (Ftn, F2, F3) for many years and I have used a D70, but when I finally bought a digital SLR I bought the 20D, mainly because I liked the viewfinder for my aging eyes and the way the camera felt in my hands, plus the fact that the Ikelite housing offered ETTL2. My old Nikkor lenses were not auto focus, so they had to be replaced anyways. The 10-22 Canon zoom is an amazing lens and this should hold me over for the next 5 years or so.

Buy either and you will own a great camera. By the way, Ikelite will have Nikon's iTTL figured out soon, and the D90 (D100 replacement) should be out by March at the latest.

Good Luck,

Doug

Hi guys, thanks for all the info. I will hold my urge and wait until the beginning of March to make a final decision (my F100 still takes great pictures, for a few samples check the underwater photography link on http://plaza.ufl.edu/rocha1/), but I am leaning towards a D70 and a Sea&Sea housing (I have Sea&Sea ports).

Doug, Alex Mustard and others convinced me that TTL is not essential and I am not too worried about it, but I'd still like to know if you received the info about iTTL directly from Ikelite, or if this is just a guess. I haven't heard anything directly from them.

Thanks again!

With regard to your question about the speed of the AF, the 20D trumps the D70.

~Matt Segal

Luiz,

I was told by reps at the Ikelite booth at the DEMA trade show last fall that the 20d housing w/ettl2 would be available by December (which it was) and that they were working hard on iTTL and "should" have it out early spring at the latest. So call it an informed guess.

Doug

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements