Jack22

Interested in small affordable cameras for diving

Hi guys,

just curious in what everyone uses or used as a beginner when it comes to taking pictures and videos underwater. I have been shooting with a GoPro Hero 5 Black, but out of 4 hours of footage, I was able to use about 5 minutes :D

Hi,
whats your goal?
Macro or wide angle or???
Depends a lot on what you want.
Regards,
Wolfgang

I think the 5 mins out of 4 hours reflects rather well just how tricky u/w photo and video are! It takes lots of dives and lots of not great pics before the number of good ones start to increase. 

Keep going! 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TimG said:

I think the 5 mins out of 4 hours reflects rather well just how tricky u/w photo and video are! It takes lots of dives and lots of not great pics before the number of good ones start to increase. 

Keep going! 

I was hoping to get a response from the OP about what went wrong......only knowing that five minutes out of 4h was good doesn't help me suggest a better camera for him, nor even to support his assumption that the problem was the camera. Could have been camera shake, lack of sufficient light, composition, etc, many things that won't change with a different camera. Getting a new stove doesn't make you a better cook, unless the problem was the stove.

Edited by tursiops
  • Like 2

Also how are you using the Go-Pro - Selfie stick, handgrip, tray with handles?  All can make a difference.

I like my Olympus Tough TG-tracker.  Stabilized video, easy transfer to a cell phone, cool overlay options that show depth and heading.  Right aorund $200 usd, (even cheaper used or refurbed).

It takes a few more dives to get the hang of it :) you’ll get there.

I started with a gopro 5 and the the TG5. Few months after, i couldn’t dive without my camera anymore haha

Edited by corrine1001

I remember my initial days, it is not easy. Specially the camera shake is a major reason to be ditching hours of footage. Another newbie mistake is to keep the record button on and go ahead and record everything in all the dives (which mostly comprises of the fin's of your guide/instructor). I can't tell you how many videos I have seen with minutes of footage only of my fins. 

Even with a GoPro 5, mount it on a tray with handles to reduce the shake. Then if you record it at those times when you are shooting interesting subjects (those 5 minutes). You could end up with some very good captures. 

Also, lights are really helpful. Especially if your dives are deeper than 6-8mt.