hyp

Replacing Acrylic Dome Port Glas

So I've managed to get a pretty major scratch into my 7" acrylic dome. It is most likely beyond polishing it out. I've found out that replacement domes are surprisingly inexpensive, but I've also found out that the dive shop wants nearly as much for doing the actual replacement. So the question is: can I do it myself and are there any resources out there (user manuals, instruction videos) that would help me undertake the repair. Has anyone done this?

Posted (edited)

The question is, can you get one cheap?
Then i would think about changing it by myself....
Sure that the scratch is that deep?
Would try to polish it first. If that works not out,
you could try to fill the scratch with an acrylic glue, best would be under vacuum, and the grind and polish it.
Like a windscreen repair.
Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125

What brand is it? In some cases the acrylic is glued in place, whereas in others (Nauticam) it is held in by a snaplock o-ring system that is easily user changeable.

It's Nauticam. I've found the replacement part for less than 100€. The Acrylic Glue Idea is new to me. The scratch is deep enough that you can easily feel it with your hand. I may try to fix it in this way, but the replacement dome is so cheap that if I could do it on my own, that would be the easiest way. However the workhours for a repair by a dealer cost as much as the dome itself...I've contacted Nauticam about information, but they just recommend that I pay someone to do it.

14 hours ago, errbrr said:

What brand is it? In some cases the acrylic is glued in place, whereas in others (Nauticam) it is held in by a snaplock o-ring system that is easily user changeable.

I'm curious if the Nauticam glass domes are secured similarly? My 140mm fisheye dome has gotten scratched, but I believe that if I could rotate the glass by 90 degrees, it might be out of the field of view (M4/3 8mm lens)… 

I'm residing in Honduras, so a quick trip to a Nauticam dealer isn't really in the cards...

15 hours ago, hyp said:

It's Nauticam. I've found the replacement part for less than 100€. The Acrylic Glue Idea is new to me. The scratch is deep enough that you can easily feel it with your hand. I may try to fix it in this way, but the replacement dome is so cheap that if I could do it on my own, that would be the easiest way. However the workhours for a repair by a dealer cost as much as the dome itself...I've contacted Nauticam about information, but they just recommend that I pay someone to do it.

Not sure I'd be keen to use glue to fill in a scratch. I'd get the replacement acrylic and do the changeover yourself. If it all goes wrong then send it off for professional intervention.

No idea on the changeover method for the glass domes, sorry. Does it look like it's glued together?

I'd polish it out.

Don't be too concerned about a micro change in the dome radius as you'll never see it in images.

If you have access to a small, low speed bench lathe, chuck up the dome and run it at the lowest speed.

Polish in and out,  always using water or kerosene as a lubricant; ideally getting figure 8 swirl marks on the dome when first starting .

Or lacking a lathe. a slow potters wheel will also work.

Using these mechanized options will significantly reduce the 'elbow grease' method.

"Laziness is the mother of invention!"

On 8/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, errbrr said:

No idea on the changeover method for the glass domes, sorry. Does it look like it's glued together?

Comparing it to my 100mm acrylic, where one can easily see the locking o-ring, my guess is that the 140mm fisheye glass is glued in place. I don’t see where there’d be any room to work an o-ring down between the glass of the dome and the port shade petals. Assuming it’s glued, Nauticam has figured out a way to make it so there’s no adhesive squishing out, anywhere.... Impressive!

Sponsors

Advertisements