Interceptor121

Getting the best colours with the Panasonic GH5

Posted (edited)

Good write up. FYI Divepro now has blue and green filters for their lights for whoever wants to use them.

Quick question, on the Tarifa video there is big difference on the hue of blue color (despite the shots being shot at the same depth range with the same method) eg some shots on the deeper part of the video and some shots in the shallows in the end. Any idea why?

Edited by Lionfi2s

Erm I think divepro have no idea what they are trying to do definitely their bluewater filter is a waste of time haven’t looked to the others
The clip sections are all with different techniques actually tell me which range exactly and will look on my notes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Erm I think divepro have no idea what they are trying to do definitely their bluewater filter is a waste of time haven’t looked to the others
The clip sections are all with different techniques actually tell me which range exactly and will look on my notes

Look around 0:38 and 2:40

6 minutes ago, Lionfi2s said:

Look around 0:38 and 2:40

That is exactly the point. The 0:38 part is shot without filter (as it was too deep and dark) around 25-30 meters so once you pass the area covered by the light the blue is really deep blue.

The section at 2:40 is shot without filter with custom white balance. Here I decided to take the filter off when I was around 8 meters because it was not bright enough and I was shooting seascapes (not close ups) so no lights. I could have put the filter on instead I decided to leave it off and white balance.

In hindsight this was a poor decision and I should have used the filter that would have got rid of some of the haze in the blue water cause by the reflection on the sand and would have given me more contrast.

This clip I think is the demonstration of the fact that custom white balance on its own is not a good idea. When I try to balance the last part in final cut pro I used a LUT to give more contrast but the color balance was failing creating purple tinge

What I should have done was to do the wreck with no filter and lights which I did. The first part of the second dive without filter and filter on the lights, and the last part with the filter. As I jumped in the water with the filter on I realised the scene was just too dark for the filter so all landscape shots were crap and could only save the close ups. Once I took the filter off to avoid ISO 1600 I trusted the camera LCD and it looked fine with custom white balance but it was not fine and the camera white balance on its own gave poor color rendering and still had some hues when hitting the surface.

In those conditions the way to go is

1. Deep dive just lights auto white balance

2. Mid 9+ meters no filter as the camera was already hitting ISO 1250 and custom white balance ambient light filters mostly you can save close ups.

3. 0-9 filter as suddenly on the sandy part there was light and this was scattering the blue. As the bottom had fair bit of green etc the water so blue-green so camera white balance working poorly

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

That is exactly the point. The 0:38 part is shot without filter (as it was too deep and dark) around 25-30 meters so once you pass the area covered by the light the blue is really deep blue.

The section at 2:40 is shot without filter with custom white balance. Here I decided to take the filter off when I was around 8 meters because it was not bright enough and I was shooting seascapes (not close ups) so no lights. I could have put the filter on instead I decided to leave it off and white balance.

In hindsight this was a poor decision and I should have used the filter that would have got rid of some of the haze in the blue water cause by the reflection on the sand and would have given me more contrast.

This clip I think is the demonstration of the fact that custom white balance on its own is not a good idea. When I try to balance the last part in final cut pro I used a LUT to give more contrast but the color balance was failing creating purple tinge

What I should have done was to do the wreck with no filter and lights which I did. The first part of the second dive without filter and filter on the lights, and the last part with the filter. As I jumped in the water with the filter on I realised the scene was just too dark for the filter so all landscape shots were crap and could only save the close ups. Once I took the filter off to avoid ISO 1600 I trusted the camera LCD and it looked fine with custom white balance but it was not fine and the camera white balance on its own gave poor color rendering and still had some hues when hitting the surface.

In those conditions the way to go is

1. Deep dive just lights auto white balance

2. Mid 9+ meters no filter as the camera was already hitting ISO 1250 and custom white balance ambient light filters mostly you can save close ups.

3. 0-9 filter as suddenly on the sandy part there was light and this was scattering the blue. As the bottom had fair bit of green etc the water so blue-green so camera white balance working poorly

I wasn't clear enough sorry. Look how the colour changes from the frame at 0:36 to the frame 0:37. These are both shot using no filters and only the lights without ambient filters if I got it right. But the hue of the blue colour changes so its either in post or different settings in camera? 

Second part look at the frame on 2:39 and the frame at the end of 2:40 and beyond. These are no filters no lights and custom white balance? Did you custom white balance before shooting each of the scenes or did one at this depth range and used this one? 

Sorry for the many questions just trying to understand.

I ll be on a 3 day trip this weekend on the North of Oman, water there is blue green this time of year so if you want me to run any tests let me know. I don't have ambient filters for the lights but I do have green and blue water filters that I can stick to the lens even during the same dive. 

Edited by Lionfi2s
typo

Absolutely nothing the angle changes so in one case am shooting with the light in the other against the light so the image looses contrast the settings are identical. The shots at depth are in auto white balance the shallow one the clips is a cut of the same so the white balance is identical. As I said on the shallow part I should have used the filter that would have helped the hazy bits

@lion2fish was trying to send a pm from tapatalk but didn’t work
Oman is bluegreen towards a lot of green but wouldn’t use a green water filter
What filter have you got?

So at least for the deep clips it is the auto white balance that changes the hue. The shallow clips are affected by the direction of the sunlight. Thanks for the answers!

They are the same hue as the magic filters. I got the original magic filters and then did some research and found the same hues (blue and green water) in Lee filters. I attach them between the WWL1 and flat port. 

Oman (Musandam) this time of year is blue green based on past experience. 

I would be interested in your findings as I have not found exactly the same. I actually use magic as wet filter but something else inside camera for stills
Send me a PM pls

Sponsors

Advertisements