PS_DiveDoctor

Lower half of photo is dark with Retra Snoot

Any advice here is appreciated. I just bought the retra snoot and am using it with a Sea&Sea YS-D2J strobe. When using it for the first time with a Nikon D-500 and 105 mm Lens in a Nauticam Housing the lower half of the photo is noticeably darker. I've never seen this before with my other homemade snoot. I'm also using a manual focus gear, but it's back away from the lens. By the second dive the dark area was shorter, but still present. Has anyone else experienced this or have advice about it?

DSC_4711.jpg

A couple of thoughts (I'm using a Retro LSD too with an Inon Z240):

I found that I needed to make sure the Retra "tube" was lined up with the Inon focussing light. This made a difference to how the light illuminated the subject  - and the amount of light.

The strobe output needed to be much higher than I had anticipated. I had loads of shots - the vast majority - where I was sure the strobe was hitting the right place but the image was very dark - or black.

Setting the output at 75% or even 100% made a big difference especially when using the smaller holes towards the end of the first slide (these were the ones I found most effective).

I've now done two dive trips with the LSD - probably around 50 dives in total and have found it frequently a frustrating experience although it is improving, But once you hit the very shot you were aiming for. BINGO! 

Tim, thank you for the thoughts on the Retra LSD. I'll try the higher output levels and ensure the alignment as you suggest. I also spoke with Backscatter today and they are suggesting the slide may have been slightly misaligned. Hopefully, all this will take care of the problems and I'll definitely try the smaller holes. 

Wow, yes, a slide misalignment would certainly lead to a blocking of the strobe light output.

As I'm sure you have found, there is a definite "click" position once the slide is in the correct position. A couple of times I've rocked a slide to ensure it is in the right place - having puzzled over an under-exposure.

I can only describe the whole snoot-shooting experience as a "challenge"! 

Sponsors

Advertisements