Sign in to follow this  
Architeuthis

Reliable strobe repair workshop in Europe?

I have two broken Sea&Sea YS-D2 at home (the strobes refuse two power on after switching them on). I do not want to send them to the Sea&Sea representative in Netherlands, since I sent already one YS-D2 with same symptoms there (they pretend it is irreparable because of water inbrake, but there was never any droplet of water in the strobe). The defective strobe was also not sent back and just disappeared...

=> Is there a reliable workshop existing in Europe, where one could send the defective strobes in for repair (in September my wife and me are going to the next diving vacation in Egypt)?

Thanks, Wolfgang

I used to get fed up with continual sending YS90s away for repairs, similar symptoms, just not switching on.

In the end I gave up on paying for repairs and pulled one apart. Inside the on/off switch rotated a cam against a mechanical micro switch. A spray of switch cleaner cured it for a while, but the problems resumed.

With a bit of careful soldering I replaced the micro switch and everything was good again. I found a similar part with a higher specification.

I suspect the surfaces inside the switch were oxidising through heating up during high current draw.

The strobes then performed reliably until I replaced them with Z240s, which have been flawless for 15 years.

If the on/off switch of a YS-D2 is similar, you could test for the same problem by shorting the switch.

Take care opening up strobes - there are high voltages that can still be present even when switched off.

• Thanks 1

Kevin at Aquaphot was recommended to me:

http://www.aquaphot.co.uk/

He was very helpful when I called him about my old YS-25A a couple of years back (sadly there aren't any spares for it any more).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

What Stig says above. Kevin repaired my Z240 and all has been fine since. Good turn round time too

Edited by JimG
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

The worksheet of Available Strobes is updated to 12 August 2019.  I have added 2 lists of strobes currently on the US market from Bluewater photo, useful as references of what is available.  
I have also added an early list of Strobe Repair workshops, which is incomplete and needs much information.
Please feel free to update this Worksheet. I hope you find it useful.  
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kraken de Mabini said:
The worksheet of Available Strobes is updated to 12 August 2019.  I have added 2 lists of strobes currently on the US market from Bluewater photo, useful as references of what is available.  
I have also added an early list of Strobe Repair workshops, which is incomplete and needs much information.
Please feel free to update this Worksheet. I hope you find it useful.  

Hey Kraken

Is the link working?  

Yes, it was just now, 8/14/2019  in  Google Sheets sign-in, free, no ads or emails: "Underwater Strobe Finder, July 2 "   

37 minutes ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

Yes, it was just now, 8/14/2019  in  Google Sheets sign-in, free, no ads or emails: "Underwater Strobe Finder, July 2 "   

Ok thanks, got it now:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1otS2RTR47KhaFdBkO6Gd7DDju3CQLEnTT2Wwetay4vE/edit#gid=0

I thought the link was the the wp.com/forums one in your post. That works but leads to a link to Underwater Strobe Finder which doesn't work

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements