desertdiver11

Backscatter Universal fiber optic cable vs Nauticam one?

Backscatter sells their version of a universal FO cable (S&S plugs + Nauticam connector + Inon connector) for about $30 less than the Nauticam one ($89 vs $120).

It's multicore, about the same length, photos appear pretty similar.  Anyone have any direct experience?  Someone posted having issues with the Nauticam one pulling out occassionally, others have suggested a different o-ring might help tighten it up.   Some folks have had issues with unbranded non-multi-core FO cables not providing enough light........

I need 3 FO cables (2 new + 1 backup) so if they are functionally the same (adequate light transmission, similar durability of plastic components, etc), I might as well save some money. 

A fair question! What strobes are you using?

People are reporting quite a difference in the FO cables needed depending on the strobe. For example Inons seem to be able to deal with a less intense FO output than that of Sea&Sea.

And the "pull out" issue seems to happen to some and not to others but is relatively straight-forward to resolve with all sorts of tricks and tips - although I'm slightly wary of not having a way that an FO cable can detach if put under too much strain. I don't want one snapping.

With my Inon Z240 I was able to make FO cables using cheap Toslink cable I bought from Amazon and L-adaptors (see example in the link): http://www.divervision.com/howshot-fiber-adapter-set-for-nauticam-housings-FA-NAL.html?search=howshot&page=3

Totally cost was probably around $20 for each cable and it was easy to do.

Haven't decided between the YS-2J or Z330s

Have toyed with the idea of making FO cables myself.... might give it a try before buying Backscatter or Nauticam. 

I went with the Backscatter fiber cables. I was told they had the same number of fiber cores as the Nauticam ones. I used them on 2x dives and they worked fine with my new TTL controller. 

Give the DIY approach a try.  You can just buy 30 feet of 2 or 3mm end glow fiber optic cable on amazon or ebay for $20 and be set for years.  There are a few threads on the board with details.

Edited by davehicks

Do it yourself. Single fiber cable is really cheap, the 617 core multi-fiber is like $7/meter and a 2 meter cable with two end plugs from Inon will have about $20 in parts. Coiling is easy,

Bill

bvanant (Bill), above, recommends diy cables, and I agree with him,  as my diy cables have worked just fine for some years now, with Sea&Sea YS-D1 and YS-D2J strobes.

This Wetpixel post from multiple contributors describes how to make one's own fiber optic cable, using Amazon supplies:

"DIY fiber optic writeup with parts. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60564."

I use of grommets to connect my DIY Toslink f.o. cables to S&S YS-D2J strobes, they work just fine. The grommets can  be fitted with 7 x 1 mm O-rings from The O Ring Store, or just used bare.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBG5U82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Toslink cable, 3 or 4 mm od,  from eBay, can be shaved with a razor blade if too thick, so it fits thru the grommet.  It can be glued into the grommet with rubber cement or ABS plumbers glue, then the end cut to refresh it. 

Sponsors

Advertisements