pooley

Can dx compete with fx with nauticam WACP

On 10/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, Algwyn said:

Fully agree ... I'm using the Sigma 17-70 mm with a D7500. The versatility of the lens is awesome.

From wide angle shots, to fish portraits at 50-70 mm, to macro shots, it gives great pictures. When diving on a reef, you can change from one type of picture to the other, and it enables to cover the full richness of sights. It also enables great pictures of large fishes (mantas, sharks, ...) which often do not come close enough to take full advantage of a wide angle. 

<snipped>

What combo are you using with the 7500/17-70?

On 10/30/2019 at 3:00 AM, Akoni said:

What combo are you using with the 7500/17-70?

I'm using  a 40mm extension and 160mm dome

Pooley, how are you getting on with the D500? What lens/port did you settle on?

Also, for those that have tried the WACP with the D500...is there a preferable version of the 18-55 and what apertures have proven successful?

Very happy with the D500. Ended up with the Nikon 8-15 with kenko 1.4x in a zen 4" mini-dome, with the 60mm, 105mm and SMC-1 for macro. I kept my old 8" dome in case I ever need it, but wanted the small dome for travel. 

Very happy so far with the setup, I'm sure a D850 with WACP would provide technically superior results, but for web use and the occasional print I'm more than happy. Excellent detail, quick focus, certainly good enough for me.

Mike

1 hour ago, pooley said:

Very happy with the D500. Ended up with the Nikon 8-15 with kenko 1.4x in a zen 4" mini-dome, with the 60mm, 105mm and SMC-1 for macro. I kept my old 8" dome in case I ever need it, but wanted the small dome for travel. 

Very happy so far with the setup, I'm sure a D850 with WACP would provide technically superior results, but for web use and the occasional print I'm more than happy. Excellent detail, quick focus, certainly good enough for me.

Mike

I love my D500 setup as well. How do you find the focusing with the 8-15 and Kenko? Having just added an 8-15 to my quiver, that combo seems to ‘focus jitter’ a lot during dry testing. Maybe I need the new version of the Kenko or to tweak my focus settings. I’ll break out my old Zen DP-100 and figure out what extension ring I need and get it in the water for some tests soon.

I think I’m going to pick up a WACP in the meantime and try it with one of the 18-55’s. I think I’ll either add or move to a FF system in the next couple years and the pain of a WACP acquisition now will be but a distant memory. 

Sponsors

Advertisements