Harin

Mounting light on hotshoe

Posted (edited)

Currently I have a kraken dual arm tray with 2 video lights and a gopro. I am looking to upgrade to a A6400 with a Fantasea housing but the kraken tray is not wide enough for the housing.

So my plan is to remove the right arm and use it as a single arm tray then mount the right light on the hotshoe with a ball mount adapter. The problem is the light would be in the center which is not good, so if I add an arm to it to extend the movement of the light, would that be too much for the hotshoe to handle?

The video lights are Kraken Hydra 3500

it-kr-tr02-2.jpg

Edited by Harin

I don't know how the arms are connected to your tray, presumably they are removable.  I would look into buying a plain long tray of some sort and mounting your arms to that before using the hotshoe, the cost difference would be minimal.

23 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

I don't know how the arms are connected to your tray, presumably they are removable.  I would look into buying a plain long tray of some sort and mounting your arms to that before using the hotshoe, the cost difference would be minimal.

It's mounted with a threaded rod that goes through the whole handle with the tray having a mount that keeps the handle it place. Seems like it would be difficult to mount them on another tray without the same mount.

IMG_20190828_230521.jpg

IMG_20190828_230531.jpg

Probably be better I would think it would be un balanced trying to use the hotshoe.

Harin: take a look at the ULCS system. The cost can stack up depending on how many bits and bobs you get. But, having said that, I've had my ULCS arms, clamps, doo-dads etc for around 20 years and not one piece has ever let me down. And, unusual bonus for u/w gear, if you sell them, you get a reasonable price for them.

ULCS gear (and maybe strobes) are, in my view, some of the few things that hold an element of their value and that grow with you from system-to-system. Worth spending the cash, I'd suggest.

Most MFG sell extensions for their trays. I just did that with a ULCS tray. I was doing what you are suggesting. It was not bad, just felt off balance and not lighting well. I did add a 3" ball arm that helped before I got the extension. The extension is about the same price.

Hi Harin

with the new camera you are going to make photography or only Video?

If it is only Video, the locklite arms are “okeyish”, but if you want to make photography, you should change the the arm system also to balls and clamps.... much more freedom to positioning the light right were you want it...

UCLS is a rebound brand, and you can find with them alll the package (tray, handles, arms and clamps and adapters).

Or you can go for unbranded equipment from eBay. Much more economical, but some people says that had bad experiences. 

47 minutes ago, pbalves said:

Hi Harin

with the new camera you are going to make photography or only Video?

If it is only Video, the locklite arms are “okeyish”, but if you want to make photography, you should change the the arm system also to balls and clamps.... much more freedom to positioning the light right were you want it...

UCLS is a rebound brand, and you can find with them alll the package (tray, handles, arms and clamps and adapters).

Or you can go for unbranded equipment from eBay. Much more economical, but some people says that had bad experiences. 

I will doing both, but is sticking to my video lights for now. I'm looking into UCLS right now. The choices are overwhelming!

Sponsors

Advertisements