smudger1962

Advice on fibre optic cables

Can anyone tell me if the bonded end connectors on fibre optic cables such as the Weefine and the sea and sea are a standard size. i have a Sea and Sea YS02 Strobe and a Fantasea FA6500 underwater housing. With the cable I have you have to attach the ends of the cable to the terminal plugs manually with a little screw, but its so tiny it is difficult to get a good nip on it and the end of the cable is prone to popping out. I want to get a one with bonded terminals but I don't know if they will fit at both ends.
Cheers.

13 hours ago, smudger1962 said:

Can anyone tell me if the bonded end connectors on fibre optic cables such as the Weefine and the sea and sea are a standard size. i have a Sea and Sea YS02 Strobe and a Fantasea FA6500 underwater housing. With the cable I have you have to attach the ends of the cable to the terminal plugs manually with a little screw, but its so tiny it is difficult to get a good nip on it and the end of the cable is prone to popping out. I want to get a one with bonded terminals but I don't know if they will fit at both ends.
Cheers.

I just bought the Fantasea housing for the Sony a6400 and have been putting everything together; won't get to dive with it until Sept. 20.  The little screwdriver that is included with the Fantasea kit is junk and the fiber optic screw is hard to turn.  After punching a hole in the end of my finger, I reached into my desk draw and got a somewhat better screwdriver which worked much better, https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-6-Piece-Jewelers-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B00002X29G?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2 .

Damn those pre-underwater injuries! :P

Thanks all

and RWE I have that same hole in my finger. Not sure what they are thinking about with that screwdriver. If I can find some of those elbows over here (UK) i might try them if not I'll try and get a cable with bonded end pieces. Also the cable I have is very thin and the more expensive ones look thicker and seem to be recommended for mirrorless and DSLR. Saying that I did try the cable i have and it seemed to trigger the strobe OK.

OK, for you damaged finger chaps, you can get the "elbows" (fibre optic L-adaptors) in the UK from here:

http://www.nauticam.co.uk/s-s-strobe-adapter/

Boots sell Band Aids :rolleyes:

This Wetpixel post from multiple contributors describes how to make one's own fiber optic cable, using Amazon supplies:

"DIY fiber optic writeup with parts.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60564."

Cable Plug Grommets: One can use of Amazon grommets as Sea&Sea-type cable plugs, just the grommets, without O rings, to connect my DIY Toslink f.o. cables to S&S YS-D2J strobes, they work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBG5U82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Toslink cable, 3 or 4 mm od,  can be shaved with a razor blade if too thick so it fits thru the grommet.  It can be glued into the grommet with rubber cement or ABS plumbers glue, then the end cut to refresh it. 

The grommets can  be fitted with 7 x 1 mm O rings from The O Ring Store, or just used bare.

=

I use Toslink fiberoptic cable from eBay, 3 to 4 mm o.d. and ~1.3 mm diam for the light fiber. It fires my two Sea&Sea YS-D2J's reliably in M mode, from a Subal ND800 or a Nauticam NA D500. My Toslink home made cables are tough, inexpensive and have consistently worked, no complaints.

I'd like to know why this kit is so much more expensive over here than in the states.

Exchange rates..... UK prices include 20% VAT... smaller market.......

You can use as well some older Inon cables,
some of them had a screwed on shoe that will fit as well.
But better pick up than shipping to found out thats the wrong one...

Regards,
Wolfgang

Sponsors

Advertisements