Sign in to follow this  
davephdv

Dive Boat Conception burned

Off of Santa Cruz Island early this morning.

Preliminary reports suggest all 34 passengers were trapped below .

Captain Jerry made it off the boat.

Too early to speculate as to cause.

One thing is the many chargers that work on theses boats all night. Cell phones, laptops have been known to catch fire while charging.

We as photographers are probably the worse. Charging lithium batteries all night.

Seems like changes are necessary to charging spaces

The  Truth Aquatics boats are very safe. I’ve been going out on them for 35 years. I’ve seen many other boats that have no better a set up for charging batteries and lights.

We all need to ask questions next time we go out on a boat.

Update, the news say it may have been a propane explosion. 

Terrible news. Photos from the Ventura fire suggest that this was not a simple Li Battery fire, the boat burned down to the waterline. We have been on this boat numerous times and safety was always stressed during briefings. Only the people awake at the time (crew) got off. 

Our prayers go out to the families

Bill

Wasnt suggesting that it was necessarily a battery problem. I do believe we all need to be a lot more careful about leaving chargers unattended while in use. Laptops and phones included.

ive probably been on the boat 100 times and do consider them the safest boats I’ve been on anywhere in the world.

Glad i’ve come across this thread. I haven’t been on a liveaboard yet, just started diving for a little over 2 years. But your information is important to photographers and those keen to bring cameras/gopro.

take care everyone

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements