echo2600

How to Disassemble a YS-01? Advice Requested...

As the title states, I’m in need of advice on how to disassemble a Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe. One of mine seems to have gone wonky... sometimes turning on, and other times not... 

Living in Honduras, sending it for repair isn’t a great option. Since it works less often than it functions, I figure that I’ve nothing to lose by delving into home repair. 

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, in advance!

Elliot

I don't know but unless you have experience you should be extremely careful- the capacitor stores and packs quite a punch and unless you know how to deal with that already I wouldn't recommend opening it.

Ditto what Chris says!

Hi, I have partially disassembled the Sea&Sea YS110 and YS50 strobes, they should be similar to the S&S YS-01.  Here are the tools and steps I used.  

Volt meter, 
Small philips screwdriver, 
Razor blade, 
Wall lamp with 110V or 220V bulb and electric plug, connect plug terminals to test wires with insulated alligator clamps, or use an insulated probe to discharge the capacitors.
Camera.
Pencil and note book 
Take photos and notes, 
Jar with cap for parts removed parts.
Store all removed parts in jar.

Steps:
First remove batteries.
Remove the three tabs on the sides of strobe with the razor.
Unscrew the three small philips screws.
Pull the front end from the back.
Remove and inspect main O ring.
Once the strobe is open, with a DVM test each capacitor to see if it is charged. The charge can be up to 350 V.
If capacitor is charged, I short it with an insulated screwdriver, the discharge spark sounds like a pistol fired indoors. 
Or better, discharge by connecting the capacitor terminals to the lamp plug terminals, the lamp's bulb should glow for a few seconds as the capacitor discharges. Measure voltage again till it is zero.

You mention your strobe's on/off function: rotary switch or on/off circuit, misbehaves, it is deep inside the upper strobe half to one side of the battery compartment, and I have not disassembled this part of the strobe.

Please tell us of your progress. 

17 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

I don't know but unless you have experience you should be extremely careful- the capacitor stores and packs quite a punch and unless you know how to deal with that already I wouldn't recommend opening it.

Thank you, all, for the responses. 

I’ve a bit of experience with electronics, so the capacitors, whilst keeping me mindful of my actions, “shouldn’t” be a major concern. I was figuring that I’d have to extract the inner workings out through the front. It’s really, now, more a matter of finding the time to delve into it. 

Good luck with it!

Sponsors

Advertisements