Sign in to follow this  
troporobo

Problem with Olympus FL-LM3 flash on EM-1 mk II?

This flash, which I need to trigger my strobes, seems to have failed completely and without warning.  I know the hot shoe is working as expected because my above-water flash works fine.  I have searched various forums without finding information on failures, but perhaps my Google-fu is not up to scratch. I know a few of you have this camera so wondering if anyone has had problems with the flash? 

I have EM1II (and former EM5II) and FL-ML3. So far no problems for about 3 years. I always have a spare flash with me, just in case (I read in several treads that the flash easily gets broken).

I also have the Nauticam flash trigger (came along with the used NA-EM1II housing I purchased), but I do not use it. I do not see the reason why: FLM3 used camera battery while the NA trigger uses a separate one that has to be replaced from time to time (I use the FL-ML3 always at 1/16th power, so recharging time is quite short and energy consumption is minimal).

Wolfgang

I would first test the flash on another camera using fiber optic connection to a flash. If it works, there are various settings on the camera that would cause not strobe flash. If it does not, the flash could be bad. It is not uncommon, but does happen.

If you go down the "camera setting" path, that can be tricky and you may want your shop to give you a hand. The point being is there are a number of ways to force the camera to flash in a housing and another set of settings that control the flash through the camera.

Mine stopped working as it was able to twist enough to lose contact withe the hot shoe connections - try twisting it either way gently to see if it comes to life.  I have a second flash without that problem which is my main flash to use in the housing.

8 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

I also have the Nauticam flash trigger (came along with the used NA-EM1II housing I purchased), but I do not use it. I do not see the reason why: FLM3 used camera battery while the NA trigger uses a separate one that has to be replaced from time to time (I use the FL-ML3 always at 1/16th power, so recharging time is quite short and energy consumption is minimal).

Wolfgang

umh... with nauticam flash trigger you can increase the sync speed up to 1/400 and also to 1/500 with a little crop...  if the strobes are fast you can do Burst shooting... the button batteries of the trigger have a real long life... with that my camera battery  last 3 dives and more.... i use a lot the flm2 and tried the flm3, but now i use only the nauticam trigger.... ps:i have always 2 spare flm3... :-P 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all.  I don't think it is a problem with the contacts as other flash units work fine and I am sure that it's not a setting issue, I have (painfully) become expert in the Olympus menu labyrinth.  I like the idea of the Nauticam trigger but it is 4x more expensive than a new flash and I don't really need the additional features.  It may just be bad luck, as failures are not discussed much on the various forums. 

13 hours ago, boletus said:

umh... with nauticam flash trigger you can increase the sync speed up to 1/400 and also to 1/500 with a little crop... 

Hi Boletus,

Thank you for this interesting information. Maybe I give the Nauticam trigger a try...

Are you shure I could increase sync. on the EM1II up to 1/400 w/o crop?

=> In the menu I see no chance to increase shutter speed over 1/250 AND to have the flash. Flash just is not provided for speed faster than 1/250. How do you work around this?

Wolfgang

4 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

Hi Boletus,

Thank you for this interesting information. Maybe I give the Nauticam trigger a try...

Are you shure I could increase sync. on the EM1II up to 1/400 w/o crop?

=> In the menu I see no chance to increase shutter speed over 1/250 AND to have the flash. Flash just is not provided for speed faster than 1/250. How do you work around this?

Wolfgang

Hi… yes, it's my second year with em1mk2 and the nauticam trigger…. the camera didnt know the trigger is there…. you can go also to 1/1000 but you have half of the photo black…. the camera didn't limit the shutter with the trigger…   in macro you can go to 1/400 easily… 500 with a very little crop on the top of the frame…. in wide angle with a lot of light(sun in the frame) and the oly fisheye you can reach 1/640 without cropping…. ;-) 

when the trigger is on the camera and you open the super control panel SCP(not menus)... the flash modes are marked grey because the camera think there isn't a flash installed… but you can navigate the modes and set also second curtain flash… but only manual modes… ;-) 

look at the photos in this gallery, many of them are at 1/400....  2 or 3 at 1/500.... 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13930495@N06/albums/72157700564635032

ps:troporobo your FLM3 is dead…. it happens also with FLM2.... :-( 

Edited by boletus
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, boletus said:

Hi… yes, it's my second year with em1mk2 and the nauticam trigger…. the camera didnt know the trigger is there…. you can go also to 1/1000 but you have half of the photo black…. the camera didn't limit the shutter with the trigger…   in macro you can go to 1/400 easily… 500 with a very little crop on the top of the frame…. in wide angle with a lot of light(sun in the frame) and the oly fisheye you can reach 1/640 without cropping…. ;-) 

when the trigger is on the camera and you open the super control panel SCP(not menus)... the flash modes are marked grey because the camera think there isn't a flash installed… but you can navigate the modes and set also second curtain flash… but only manual modes… ;-) 

look at the photos in this gallery, many of them are at 1/400....  2 or 3 at 1/500.... 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13930495@N06/albums/72157700564635032

ps:troporobo your FLM3 is dead…. it happens also with FLM2.... :-( 

Whow!

1/640 with the fisheye and 1/400 with macro - this changes my opinion, I will install the trigger...

Wolfgang

2 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

Whow!

1/640 with the fisheye and 1/400 with macro - this changes my opinion, I will install the trigger...

Wolfgang

ahahah…. mind me…. 1/640 only if there is a lot of light in the frame… ex:shooting CFWA with sunball close to the surface…  without light at 1/640 you get the curtain band… ;-) but 1/400 is perfect in every condition…. i shot only single or burst antishock mode…. ;-)  

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements