Sign in to follow this  
Naboodiver

How do you secure your tray arms and strobe when boat diving?

I just bought my first strobe and tray arm package. My concern is how to best secure the strobe/arms during boat exit and reentry. No matter how I tighten the clamps the arm with the heavy strobe seen to flop about. I don't want my brand new strobe/arms/optical cable damaged by the boat crew as I start or finish my dive. If you would please share your thoughts, I would like to hear how other divers have managed to secure there photo gear to prevent damage. Pictures are welcomed. Thanks much in advance.

I have two arms on each side. My braided handle is attached at the middle clamp on each side so when the camera is lifted/carried the arms closest to the camera are holding the camera. 

I've also rigged mine with the braided handle clipped to the tops of the tray sides, but with the braided piece also clipped to the mid-point of the arms, as in the attached picture. This keeps the arms from swinging around while the camera is carried. I like this method, and am going to stick with it, I think. it is easy to unclip the arms from the braid after I'm in the water, or to clip it back before I exit.

20190514_071045-1.jpg

Edited by tursiops
Add info.

Perhaps you could supply a picture of your setup.  Not knowing what arms, clamps etc., makes it difficult to know if I can help. 

Simply collapse (fold) the strobe arms to tuck the strobe up against the side front side of the housing and tighten the clamps.Depending on the length and configuration of your arm setup, the arms will probably fold over the top of the housing.

I use the straps that connect my housed camera and strobes to my BCD to make a center handle. The crew uses the handle to pass the camera rig to me after I enter the water and take the camera rig from me before I exit.

Often, I extend the arms and pre-position the strobes as I'm descending. My safety stop on my ascent is a good time to collapse the arms and position the strobes for the camera rig's exit from the water.

-AZTinman 

Crew members want to please  you and protect your gear. Fold your arms so that do not "flopp". Instruct the crew BEFORE you dive that you do NOT want them to use anything but the try arms to pick up and to hand you the rig - in and out of the water. The strap between to two handles is seen a lot. However, I dislike that personally and have had no problems. 

Thanks for all the pictures and helpful advice.     I think I can manage to DYI a strap similar to the one pictured.     Great idea.     I was also thinking of using a Velcro strap to secure the Strobe to the tray to keep it from flopping (swinging) about.    It may be unnecessary but I was wondering if any one else does the same.     I have attached a picture.    What is not in the picture that I also have is a Ball clamp on the left tray ball attached to a 5" arm, clamp and focus light.

Underwater camera rig.jpg

Edited by Naboodiver

It looks like you are using a single arm/strobe.  I would think you could more or less fold the arm down so the strobe is against the top of the camera and it wold stay.  if not, or if you just want to do do something different you can get some velcro industrial strength strap and use that to strap the arms9s0 wherever you need.  Just undo it in the water and attach to tray or wherever.  It comes in different lengths and widths and can be cut to whatever size you want.  I have seen it in different forms including "fast wrap" one wrap", etc.   I don't use it for that but do use it diving and it holds fine.

Generally, I can clamp the arms in place for entries and exits, but the strobes hang down to the side of the housing and I use a rope grip, so gravity keeps stuff in place.  Your configuration looks like you might be working against the weight of the strobe.

Edited by Draq

I just fold my arms in, with a rope handle above the handles for boat crew to grab never had any problems, always show the boat crew how to hold my rig.

just my thoughts,

Andy

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements