John Doe II

Amazing P4K/P6K mod

Anyone seen this amazing mod for the P4K/P6K yet ?

That M2 drive behind the screen fress up the space in the Nauticam housing for the SSd drive for other things.....another battery maybe?

• Like 1

I’d have to think that moving the screen from within the confines of the original camera body, as the Tilta kit does, would make it impossible to use any housing designed for the camera, as produced. I’d be awfully surprised if there we the extra ~5 mm that would seem to be needed for the modified camera to fit in the housing....

6 hours ago, echo2600 said:

I’d have to think that moving the screen from within the confines of the original camera body, as the Tilta kit does, would make it impossible to use any housing designed for the camera, as produced. I’d be awfully surprised if there we the extra ~5 mm that would seem to be needed for the modified camera to fit in the housing....

There is about 5mm between the screen and the back of the glass in the housing. 

I think this is very useful on land but not so much underwater as the screen will lay flat and the housing already has space for disk and batteries so not worth invalidating the warranty

I guess the big thing to me was the M2 drive nicely tucked away behind the screen like that. I do get there is no use for the articulating screen underwater.

But having that M2 tucked away like that means one less bit of gear to have to wrangle.

On land that articulating screen is golden!

• Like 1

I think once you place that set up in a housing you have a higher risk of overheating
On land it will do fine especially if you lift the screen

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

I think once you place that set up in a housing you have a higher risk of overheating
On land it will do fine especially if you lift the screen

How far have you gone with your P4K ? Shot much on it yet?

How far have you gone with your P4K ? Shot much on it yet?
I am still on the GH5 and am not planning to change

Can't see this fitting the current NA-BMPCCII housing. Not sure I would want it. If you want a monitor, get something to sit above the camera, at a more natural viewing angle.

BMPCC4K getting a FW update soon to enable 2.6k at 120p which will be interesting.

Haven't dived my much (too much damn work!) but love it so far.

Oops sorry got the wrong diver there ! 

@The trickster, eagerly awaiting your progress reports. Do you think there will be a housing for the P6K?

Oops sorry got the wrong diver there ! 
@The trickster, eagerly awaiting your progress reports. Do you think there will be a housing for the P6K?

I’m of the understanding that a BMPCC6K housing is in the works. (From a comment I read on FB).

The BMPCC6K is truly an interesting camera, I’m shocked how much more resolution it has over 4K. It’s has been shown to be a good couple stops better in low light recovery (see the Cinema5D DR tests) than the BMPCC4K but overall they are very similar in colour and DR if the exposure is same - nothing I’ve seen to be night and day differences.

I see a lot of people buying the 6K to replace their 4K, but end up selling on, as it seems 6K is massively data intensive, for the end results to end up back on 4K timelines and 4K deliveries to YouTube / Vimeo etc.

Alas I actually feel for underwater and my type of shooting the m43 mount size is a better bet. Can make use of the detachable WWL1, given you amazing versatility uw, has greater DoF at the same aperture etc. Not sure why we are all going FF for video (thinking S1H and the like) as for documentary / wildlife style shooting, I really don’t want to be anywhere near f2 or shallower, have hard enough time getting focus now.

Really haven’t used it my as much as I had hoped TBH. Paired with my Inferno. It’s a joy in the water. if I’m honest the GH5 is a much more rounded system for the hobbyist and I should of been happy to stick with that (and it’s why I’ve also kept it) but man I wanted a play with raw shooting :-)

Any questions, fire away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

You mention you pair the P4K with the inferno.Is that because you have the inferno or because the P4K setup really needs the external monitor underwater ?

That 2.6K crop will be very interesting. 120fps underwater could be useful for somethings I would expect.

It’s a bit of both to be honest.

Having a screen at the same plane as the handles is never really an optimal setup, so as I do have the inferno already from the GH5 setup. I do benefit from the much better ergonomics, monitoring tools, plus it’s buoyancy and balance (in pitch and roll) in the water is perfect.

However saying that, if I didn’t have the inferno already then I would probably not bother with the big expense of a monitor and housing, yes it makes the whole setup a much nicer experience but costs wise it not worth it if I had to buy again.

Defo don’t need a monitor - but it’s hard to go back once you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right - I get that. I am not keen on an external monitor because of the cost. That monitor housing is quite an expensive item!

Of course it will never happen - but with that monitor mod that allows tilt etc imagine a monitor with a rear window that accommodates the monitor being shifted up high so that no external monitor is needed........would be great but I can't see it ever happening - the P4K housing is enough of a specialty low volume item as it is without new models like that coming out. 

Still if you are reading this Nauticam ....for the P6K housing.....how about accommodating that tilta mod? We could get the monitor higher than the stock position and no external monitor needed.

I am holding on for now as I am not in a position to be able to use the rig - so will wait till I am ready to get wet. Hoping some exciting housings come out for the P6K.

Do you find your external monitor is too bright in deep dark locations? Would the native P4/6 K monitor be sufficient on its own in that regard ?

I am not really sure tilting is going to work out. 

I shoot without monitor and for wide angle frankly it is not an issue even using the small LCD of my GH5 occasionally I forget to refocus and end up with blut other than that I have no issues framing 

The problem is macro especially when shooting on sand with a tripod at eye level. Without a monitor you need literally to be on the sea be and in this situation I sometimes end up lifting silt.

In terms of external recording due to the color and dynamic range limitation underwater I have seen little benefit going for a recorder as even in high dynamic range situation I have not seen great difference for the shots I take (I shoot 24p as I do not believe in 50/60p underwater)

So for me there is a need of a more cost effective solution than housing a monitor but I would not want to spend more than 1500 EUR on this absolute max 

Good info. Thanks. 

I am waiting for used P4K housings to start showing up. A bit more time to go yet for sure, but thats OK.

Sponsors

Advertisements