TPott

Novus 3 Scratched My Dome Port

Hi Guys,

After doing some searching around the forums here on the best methods to revive a scratched dome port, I found various members recommending the Novus 123 product.  I initially cleaned my port with Novus 1, then proceeded to try Novus 2.  I was still left with a deeper scratch, so I used Novus 3.  It completely scratched up my dome port surface.  I tried to go back to Novus 2, followed by Novus 1 but to no avail.  At this point, I'm assuming I will have to buy another dome port unless someone can recommend a fix?

scratched dome port.jpg

Does anyone know of a dealer in Europe for the micromesh?

Novus works fine, I've used it many times. You have to start with 3, get the deeper scratches out, then 2 to smooth out the surface. 1 is simply a polish. You have to work the entire dome evenly in a circular motion using a piece of terry cloth or one of their pads. You can't just rub where the scratch is. Takes some time, wax on, wax off...

Edited by JackConnick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JackConnick said:

Novus works fine, I've used it many times. You have to start with 3, get the deeper scratches out, then 2 to smooth out the surface. 1 is simply a polish. You have to work the entire dome evenly in a circular motion using a piece of terry cloth or one of their pads. You can't just rub where the scratch is. Takes some time, wax on, wax off...

I did everything in the order you mentioned and you can see how badly my dome Port is scratched now. Before there was one scratch, now the entire surface is scratched after using Novus 3. Im not sure what to do?  

Novus 3 is supposed to scratch your port.  To remove a scratch, you have to remove material around it.  Then get progressively finer from the (intentional) scratching of #3, then to #2, until it is polished with #1.  The entire surface of the port will look uniformly hazy after the first step with #3.  From your photo, that step looks barely underway, and there are heavy scratches that will take considerable time and effort. Maybe it was an error, but you originally wrote your sequence as 1-2-3 when it should be 3-2-1. It does work, but it takes a lot of elbow grease.  Hope this helps

If novus is anything like using micromesh, with the first 1/3 of the process the whole dome should look opaque as the whole surface is basically 'sanded down'. I would dry it off continually to check how the progress was going because wet its impossible to tell, then when its all an even opaque, start working on the finer grits till its transparent again. Not sure how the process is with novus but I would assume you haven't given it enough elbow grease yet :)

I am wondering if you dome had a coating on it.  If so you are out of luck unless you remove all the coating using #3. I have had great success with Novis products, check out tutorial on their web site. 

46 minutes ago, Ministryofgiraffes said:

is this a glass or acrylic port?... just wondering...

This is an acrylic port.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, troporobo said:

Novus 3 is supposed to scratch your port.  To remove a scratch, you have to remove material around it.  Then get progressively finer from the (intentional) scratching of #3, then to #2, until it is polished with #1.  The entire surface of the port will look uniformly hazy after the first step with #3.  From your photo, that step looks barely underway, and there are heavy scratches that will take considerable time and effort. Maybe it was an error, but you originally wrote your sequence as 1-2-3 when it should be 3-2-1. It does work, but it takes a lot of elbow grease.  Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. I’m assuming by the responses that I’ve received, I may have to go back to 3 and really work it in. I did initially do the process 3-2-1. 

this thread has all the info....has some pictures of in between steps as well

Edited by Cerianthus

Sponsors

Advertisements