Hi all,

just got some ball to ys adapters to mount the strobes on for my compact setup, doing away with one pair of ball clamps and one pair of ball end arms. However I have never used the ys mounts from my strobes before. There seems to be a lot of space between the strobe YS clamp and the YS end of the arm, so I have to crank it quite tight to stop movement. Does anyone know what the thickness of the YS arm should be? I am wondering if these cheap arms are not to spec, or is it usual to have to tighten quite a bit before any sort of friction is generated?

The YS end and clamp should mate firmly, so that only a mild compression by the screw is needed.

Measure both with a caliper, the difference should be very small. 

Or place some duct tape or thin plastic sheet, with a hole for the screw, between the end and the clamp, so the screw only needs mild tightening.

Otherwise you risk damaging the clamp.

although I dont use YS ends myself any more, I got several old Sea and Sea arms here with YS end, the part with the hole is around 11 - 12 mm thick. Used to connect these to inon's Z240 Z joint, like this one:

https://www.onderwaterhuis.nl/inon-z-joint

Thanks!! Don’t know why I wasn’t notified of these replies. In any case I gave up trying the ys arms as the bolts for the ball mounts are galvanically corroded into place! Good to know it should be a snug fit though, those arms were definitely too loose

Sometimes the corrosion of the bolts can be removed by soaking in vinegar for a couple days.

Good luck!

The thickness of my YS fittings is 0.475", and it's a good slip fit into the fork end.  It doesn't take much squeeze with the bolt to keep it in place.  You could use a single (or couple) of thin (0.010" thick) sheet aluminum pieces with holes for the bolt to take up the extra space.  Where I live, Home Depot and some hardware stores sell such material.

Sea & Sea YS Arm VII had an oring embedded in the arm around the bolt hole. The oring gave a snug fit in the slot and provided friction so that you did not need to over tighten the bolt.

Sponsors

Advertisements