So i have a vacuum valve fixed on the housing. After pumping and creating the vacuum the green light flashes and if checked both, the front and the back are totally sealed. Even then there seems to be a very small amount of water that seeps in ??? Is there some reason or am i vacuuming extra ? Even after the minor leak both the front and back are secure.

I use the leak sentinel.

Any help on why would be much appreciated. 

Diggy

The website says that green LED blinking means safe to  dive.  You say a small amount of water leaks in - how have you confirmed this and what do you mean by front and back are secure?  

Hi Chris,

The website says that green LED blinking means safe to  dive.  Yes Chris, it is blinking green and i does mean it's safe to dive.

You say a small amount of water leaks in - Yes somewhere through the dive the front dome has some water in it.

how have you confirmed this : one can clearly see the water in the dome.

and what do you mean by front and back are secure?  I mean the front dome is locked in and even when you unlock and try to pull it out it will not come out as the vacuum has secured it in. Same holds for the back of the housing. Only when you open and release the vacuum can one open the front port and the back.

Do hope the above is clear ?

Diggy

Really strange, Diggy

If you can’t remove either the back of the housing or the port, the seals and the vacuum created must be intact. Presumably no intermittent red light on the Leak Sentinel?

It does seem strange, the sentinel should alarm or flash red  if there is a leak and if there is water there is a leak of some form.  The back and dome will feel secure as long as there is some vacuum, that in itself does not mean they are fully sealed - a slow leak can occur and the back and dome will feel secure until pressures equalise.

Does it flash red or alarm when you let in air to equalise after a dive, when you are removing the camera?  It should do so if it is working properly.

Well there could be one answer and that is that the sensor on the leak detector is defective. There could be a little vacuum left which is why it may not open but the flashing is incorrect.

I have a spare sensor so will replace this one and then let's see what happens. To me this seems the only answer for now. Will be diving again day after, so will keep you all informed.

Diggy

Diggy, it might be worth dropping Miso an email at Vivid. He’s really helpful. 

Diggy, which version of the Sentinel do you have?

and how many pumps you do once the LED turns green ? If you do lots, the sensor might still think it is allright.

Diggy states the problem as follows: 

"if checked both, the front and the back are totally sealed"

"there seems to be a very small amount of water that seeps in ", and later on

" the front dome has some water in it."

A very small amount of water will have a very small volume, not enough to trip the vacuum detector. 

If the front and back are totally sealed, then the likely problem may be the front dome where the water leak first appears. If the dome is suspect, its O-ring is a likely culprit.

Suggestion:  Examine the dome's O-ring and both the dome's and housing's grooves,

clean carefully, replace the O-ring and test again,

or

clean the housing's groove, replace the dome with a different port, then test again.

Good luck!

11 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

"there seems to be a very small amount of water that seeps in ", and later on

" the front dome has some water in it."

A very small amount of water will have a very small volume, not enough to trip the vacuum detector.  

Good luck!

Which is why you should let the housing sit for a while before jumping in.  For a given leakpath, air will leak in much faster than water will.  So leaving it sit in air for 20-30 minutes gives it a chance to leak in some air and set off the sensor.

Also we should not take it as read that front and back are sealed  you can't tell where the leak is without some detective work it could be any of the O-rings in the rig.  If it keeps leaking you will need to check all the O-rings, perhaps submerging the rig while packed with tissue to see if you can determine where the water is coming in.  

• Like 1

sorry guys for not responding earlier. Had erratic internet.

The problem was resolved once i changed the sensor on the leak detector. i used an older version (III) i think, which was a spare i had. The reason i was not using this one was that it would eat up battery very fast.

But post the change all was well without any issues at all even with using the same ports as mentioned in my earlier mails. Post pumping the light would turn green and there were no issues at all.

Diggy

NB: Tim: will write to Miso about this, i am sure he would know what the problem was. 

1 hour ago, diggy said:

sorry guys for not responding earlier. Had erratic internet.

The problem was resolved once i changed the sensor on the leak detector. i used an older version (III) i think, which was a spare i had. The reason i was not using this one was that it would eat up battery very fast.

But post the change all was well without any issues at all even with using the same ports as mentioned in my earlier mails. Post pumping the light would turn green and there were no issues at all.

Diggy

NB: Tim: will write to Miso about this, i am sure he would know what the problem was. 

May I ask what you think was the leaking reason? Was it the sentinel that leaked the water?

or was the leak actually condensation building inside the housing due to condensation ?

Obviously the leak was due to some error on my part (possibly.) Cause I was relying on the green flashing light to ensure and secure my worries about any kind of leakages. The leak sentinel is an additional measure of protection post carefully securing your front port and back door. But I am still flummoxed as to why there was a regular small leak from the front ??? I checked and double checked all again and again. Therefore I had asked the question earlier....does excess pressure do something to induce a leak ?  And then for the next 10 days post changing the sensor there were no leaks ??????? so I had renewed my faith in the sensor working. In fact I even changed from a mini dome to a macro 60mm port on the boat without any issues post sensor change.

Look guys I am still confused. But it probably was error on my part.

Diggy

On 9/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, ChrisRoss said:

Which is why you should let the housing sit for a while before jumping in.  For a given leakpath, air will leak in much faster than water will.  So leaving it sit in air for 20-30 minutes gives it a chance to leak in some air and set off the sensor.

Also we should not take it as read that front and back are sealed  you can't tell where the leak is without some detective work it could be any of the O-rings in the rig.  If it keeps leaking you will need to check all the O-rings, perhaps submerging the rig while packed with tissue to see if you can determine where the water is coming in.  

Will do these tests too Chris Thanks

Sponsors

Advertisements