Stefan Oriold

Recommended good value video lights for GoPro setup

Hello, I am considering switching from a camera setup to a smaller GoPro video one but have little / no experience with video lights. I would appreciate some thoughts / pointers to good value video lights that won't cost more than $600 or $700 (hopefully less :)). 

Thank you, 

Stefan

On my old gopro setup I use to use 2 light and motion sola 1200 lumen lights. They were like 6 or $700 each at the time when i bought them and they were fine. My big issue over time with them was that a) you cant replace the batteries between dives. The lights at full power pretty much only last one dive. b) the charger terminals on the back are open and exposed to the salt water. They got corroded on both lights over a few years despite regularly rinsing them to the point now that they barely charge. I have to put the charger in just rite and wiggle it around to get good contact. c) at least the old lights the mounting solution is terrible. It was just a slip on piece to connect to the strobe arms and one light i had slipped off in bad surge and I lost it. $700 down the toilet because of the stupid way the old adapter worked.

So in summary I don't recommend overpriced light and motion lights. I switched to BigBlue lights and love them. They have interchangeable batteries, they're a fraction of the price for way more lumens, and they have multiple modes including red leds. Also the battery lasts way longer. The specific light I have is the VTL3500p and its on sale for like $350. They have other lights for $250 that are still really powerful too. 

Another super cheap option is the Chinese dive lights on ebay. A dive master on one of the dive boats i recently went on bought one for like $80 and tested it out on the dives doing photography and it actually worked really good. I just ordered a "25000" lumen light for $110 on amazon. I put the 25000 in quotes cause i doubt it actually outputs that amount of light. But we'll see when i get it. I'll compare it to the sola light and the bigblue light.  

I can recommend Weefine/Kraken lights. They are not super cheap, but very well built and high quality.

Sponsors

Advertisements