Sign in to follow this  

Is there anyone that can help me with information/guides about what o-rings, springs etc that is used for the Sea&Sea mdx-d500housing?

I’d like to service it myself since I’m travelling to places like Lembeh. It doesn’t make sense to send it in for service after each trip to get rid of all the sand in the buttons. I know that some of you would like to avoid me from doing it myself but come on, It’s not rocket science how to do remove and replace parts. And you also have the vacuum system to help you detecting any leakage problem.

Anyone? Private message me or reply to this topic. I guess more ppl might be interested.

Hello, Scotzh:

I too service my own equipment, saves a lot of time and money, you are right.  I serviced the D800 Sea&Sea housing of a friend, it was very easy.  I recall the buttons are retained by E clips.  They are removed by prying them with a small screw driver, replaced by holdng them in place with silicon grease, and clamped in with needle nose pliers.  It is important to photo and make notes of everything first to guide you.  Work on a nappy towel so things don't run away.

Cleaning is simple, use a rag and silicon grease. Inspect all O rings closely, replace any defective ones.

To replace O rings, measure them with a caliper, as O-ring dimensions are defined by the cross section (CS) and the inside diameter (ID).  I use the O Ring Store, they give excellent service, most reasonable prices.

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=368_12

For vacuum checking, it is a real good idea to buy a vacuum leak detector.  I use the Vivid Sentinel Vacuum Leak Detector, V5, works like a charm.  Bluewater Photo https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/ or

Vivid sells it, https://www.vividhousings.com/leak-sentinel.php.  I highly recommend it as it has saved me from flooding my camera several times.

About replacing springs, etc. usually the little parts are intact and can be reused.  

Another thought:  Is there a dive club or better an underwater photo club near you?  It is a real good idea to join one and attend regularly, lovely people and useful information.

==

I'm not sure that it really needs to be serviced that often.  I dive in sandy areas all the time around home and on trips and have not serviced my nauticam housing  yet after at least 100 dives.  Just give it a good soaking after each dive. 

Also you want to use the right lubricant - your O-rings are probably butyl rubber unlike you  main housing silicone o-rings and the lubricant required could well be different.  I believe there is also a technique for including enough lube on each shaft - it's not like your houing where you use just enough to make it shiny.

Hey Scotzh

I spent a year working  in Lembeh and did 400+ dives there with my Subal D300 housing. When I sold it on the housing must have done close to 800+ dives. There was never a problem - and I never had it serviced.

As Chris says, unless there is something quirky about Sea&Sea housings, I don't think you need to service them very often. A good rinse after every dive and work the buttons whilst in the rinse tank - and don't leave it unwatched there!

Hi

Thanks for your input. Sounds good that it might not be such a big issue. Then I will send it in for service once the housing needs it. The problem is if that occurs on a trip though. Would be nice to be able to fix it on the spot.

True, but it's rare anything goes wrong with a housing that a small screw driver can't fix for, eg, a small adjustment to how an internal lever activates a camera button. Although once you have that sorted out early  in ownership it very rarely needs changing.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements