Draq

60 micro in dome, port-back button AF and 10-24 Nikkor questions

On the D500 in nauticam housing I have been using the back button autofocus recently.  I find it sometimes a little awkward to reach both the shutter release and AF On levers simultaneously and wonder if others have experienced this and if thee are any suggestions...maybe trying to enlarge or "build up" the AF On lever a little?   Probably just a hand size issue for me.

I have been wondering about a couple other things also; has anyone experimented with using the 60 micro lens in a 100mm dome and if so what are your impressions and what, if any extension worked well?

Has anyone used the 10-24 Nikkor in a 180 dome and if so,  how did that work out?

I have used Nauticam housing for both D810 and D850, and I can easily use both focus and shutter levers at the same time.  I think the D810 was easier, but with the D850 Nauticam switched the video and AF-on levers making it a bit more awkward.  But after three weeks of diving with it, I'm used to it now.   I do not have small hands, nor overly large ones.

I have the 60, which is too short on my D8xx cameras, and that was with the magnification of a flat port.  If you shoot the 60 in a dome port, assuming the extension is right for the combo, I'd guess it would work but you would lose the magnification of a flat port air/water interface.

CJ

I have arthritis in my hands and had a similar problem with my aquatica housing. I fabricated a wood spacer to move the right handle out about 1-1/2” from its normal position. This allowed me to get my right hand right next to the housing and operate the shutter and the AF–ON levers without problem. Of course I had to buy a longer machine screw to attach the right handle through the spacer. Make sure that you use stainless steel machine screws.

Thanks for the replies.  I realize the 60 would lose magnification in a dome, but there are times that would be okay.  Wasn't sure whether the curvature of a 100 dome wold really be appropriate for the lens or how much extension one might need.  I don't really have trouble reaching the AF On lever, it is more that in some positions, simultaneously operating that lever and the shutter lever is awkward/uncomfortable.

I would like to see a picture of what you have done, divengolf.  I was actually thinking of just building up the face of the lever some, as opposed to making the lever extend further from the housing.

Hello,
To reach the shutter release and AF On levers simultaneously, i would recomend smaller handles. (In case you use a nauticam housing).
I used the 10-24 with a Zen 170 (+ 60mm ext.) in Revillagigiedo 2 years ago and was very happy with the results. I'm not sure why Nauticam don't have the 180 as an option in the port charts.

Regards,
Joss

Sponsors

Advertisements