Sign in to follow this  
Interceptor121

Using rectilinear wide angle lenses for video?

I have heard many complaints of problems with corners edges etc using rectilinear lenses.

Mostly those are not real problems but consequence of a lens system and perspective so I thought of doing a little write up

https://interceptor121.com/2019/10/13/using-rectilinear-wide-lenses-underwater/

In short if you really want to shoot rectilinear use an 18mm focal length or narrower otherwise the issues in wrecks and close shots are guaranteed, that if they are issues!

• Like 1

Good writeup.  The perspective and corner pulling section is insightful.  Personally I prefer the shot of the motorcycle wheel pulling a bit in the corner as it adds dimension.  

16 hours ago, JohnE said:

Good writeup.  The perspective and corner pulling section is insightful.  Personally I prefer the shot of the motorcycle wheel pulling a bit in the corner as it adds dimension.  

In general terms you should try and avoid perspective distortion. This is not always possible when you work in restricted spaces like a wreck and in water when you can't easily step back to compose the shot. I think we do our best and sometimes this works for still images however for video when you swim around and you see the objects changing shape at the edge of the frame it is actually distracting to most. Back in the days of 60 degrees light in a wreck this would be all dark now with 120 degrees beams we can see all of this....!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements