Sign in to follow this  
duanefurlong

Headshot Photographer

Hello! 

I have never done underwater photography and would love to learn how to do it. I have a sony a7rii and wonder if there is a case that would allow me to use the camera for underwater explorations.

Hi

There certainly is: Sony and Ikelite both make one. Maybe Nauticam too?

I know Sony sells a housing for RX100 series cameras (models I through V), but this is the first time I hear about an A7 II series housing from them - mind sharing a link?

To the best of my knowledge, SeaFrogs is the most affordable underwater option for this camera, though it does come with some limitations - the port system is much less comprehensive than those offered by the premium housing manufacturers, there aren't nearly as many additional accessories that you can mount on it (no possibility of an external monitor or viewfinder, for example), and the lens support is considerably more limited, but it comes at a small fraction of the cost of something like Nauticam or Subal.

Just because you have a camera you like to use on land does not mean that housing it is the best solution for taking images underwater.  A lot of people like the Sony cameras and they certainly have good image quality.  But going underwater is an expensive exercise and it gets more expensive as you go to larger sensors, particularly for wide angle where you need bigger domes to take advantage of all that resolution.  You may or may not have the ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle and macro lenses needed for underwater shooting.  Then there are the strobes which are pretty much essential to get the best images.

You don't say what type of shooting you might like to do - tropical diving, diving in places like California etc.??  Are you dive certified or interested in snorkelling/freediving?  All this makes a difference.

I am a photographer who shoots multiple live events every day, and have to deliver unedited RAW or JPG-L to my office HQ as fast as possible from the point of clicking.

So far my solution has been to dump my shots while moving from event A to event B and upload them with my wifi hotspot, but this still takes a bit too much time, and in my line, time is literally of the essence.

What is the best/fastest solution to get images from my camera to my HQ? Is there any solution that can allow me to upload RAW or JPG images directly from the camera onto an online storage portal without having to pull the card out and backup onto my computer first?

3 hours ago, Kimmbrown said:

I am a photographer who shoots multiple live events every day, and have to deliver unedited RAW or JPG-L to my office HQ as fast as possible from the point of clicking.

So far my solution has been to dump my shots while moving from event A to event B and upload them with my wifi hotspot, but this still takes a bit too much time, and in my line, time is literally of the essence.

What is the best/fastest solution to get images from my camera to my HQ? Is there any solution that can allow me to upload RAW or JPG images directly from the camera onto an online storage portal without having to pull the card out and backup onto my computer first?

What camera do you have?   Some newer models make it slightly easier to get files off and moved somewhere useful, though very limited.  The Nikon D850 for instance can move files to Nikon Image Space, with a bunch of limitations.  (2mb JPGs OK?)  .

A popular option in the past has been to use a Wifi-enabled SD card to link to some external device (laptop, cell phone), dump the files there, and let the receiver deal with them further.  See http://www.eyefi.com/.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements