DoubleH

RX100 IV vs V/VII/VII - is PDAF worth upgrade?

I've been using my Sony RX100IV/Fantasea housing for a while with decent beginner-level results.  While I'm not ready for the expense nor have the time to fit a housing and climb the UW learning curve with my APS-C mirrorless (Fuji), I was at least thinking of upgrading to a newer model of the RX100.  The primary upgrade starting with the V is phase detection auto-focus which I understand makes focusing much (much) faster.  Is this a worthwhile upgrade for underwater photography?  Any other upgrades from the V onward worth considering for UW?  My primary focus is stills, a little video but not much. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

I recently bought the RX100Va. I chose the VA over the Vi and Vii for the f1.8 lens, the Vi and Vii have a f2.8 lens as it's fastest apature. Other than the apature and the focal length there isn't much change between VA (24-70mm) and Vi and Vii (24-200mm).

Here is the comparison of the VA vs VI:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-VI-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V

Here is the comparison of the VA vs VII:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-VII-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V

Edited by Dann-Oh

Remember that underwater you mostly shoot stopped down (although maybe not as much on compacts) and with artificial light. I would probably shoot a 1" compact at about f5.6.

• Like 1

The RX100VII is definitely worth the upgrade. The AF system in the VII is the same as their flagship A9II & A7IV. Used it on trip last month and simply amazed at such great results from such a little and easy to use camera.

• Like 1

I have no personal experience with the RX100VII, but I have been diving with a few divers using it, and the results are impressive. I would say the size of the kits in total would make me look at one of these my self. Following this thread :).  

• Like 1

The RX100 never had an issue of focus since Mark I other considerations are more important when choosing which version

• Like 1

Same question for me.
I use the IV with single strobe and the challenge is focus hunting when zooming beyond 35mm with difficult light condition.

I’ve been using the RX100VA for about 6 months now and am really happy with the unit. I got it as a upgrade to my Olympus tg4. I chose the VA as I wanted to focus on wide angle photography which I think the lens on the V/VA is better suited for. The lens on the VI is apparently better for macro. The focusing I find is really fast and was able to to continuously focus and track fast moving seals even on a cloudy day. 

I’ve been using the RX100VA for about 6 months now and am really happy with the unit. I got it as a upgrade to my Olympus tg4. I chose the VA as I wanted to focus on wide angle photography which I think the lens on the V/VA is better suited for. The lens on the VI is apparently better for macro. The focusing I find is really fast and was able to to continuously focus and track fast moving seals even on a cloudy day. 

Maybe the challenge is the minimum distance of focus, pretty high vs Olympus tg4

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi DOUBLEH.,

I don't know if your question is still active or not?  But, I own a Sony RX100-VI, along with a Nauticam Housing, CMC-1 Macro lens and the Nauticam WWL-1 Wide Angle Wet Lens.  The specs between the Sony RX100 V & VI are close to being the same.  The big improvements were with the ISO Range, more focus points and the lens going from a 70mm to 200mm telephoto!.  With the Nauticam standard port you can use the full telephoto range and with the use of a CMC-1 macro wet lens, can get down to extreme macro!  Above water the 200mm telephoto makes the Sony a great all around travel camera.  I shoot birds, other wildlife, rock concerts and car racing with it!!  Hope this helps?

Edited by walkerbj0
added more information

Sponsors

Advertisements