fstopmovies

How do you charge for your work?

Hi Folks.

First post for me. Yay!

Big question. How do you charge for your underwater work?

I need some guidance on how to charge for shoots. For example. I had an unplanned shoot where I was just in the water and shot a Uboat Worx sub and they contacted me about the photos for marketing.

How would you charge for a planned shot vs just selling a series of photos.

I realize there are a bunch of variable but they’re got to be some kinda guide.

Any help appreciated.

Insta and Facebook[mention=100132]fstopmovies[/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google photography pricing guide and you will get heaps of hits.  Decide on a price point and try it out if it is snapped you probably priced too low.  Allow time for editing and include things like image delivery format.  Also you need to specify that the copyright remains with you and the terms you are licensing the use of the photos for.  This can be anything from unrestricted to a very specific usage depending on client needs.

Google photography pricing guide and you will get heaps of hits.  Decide on a price point and try it out if it is snapped you probably priced too low.  Allow time for editing and include things like image delivery format.  Also you need to specify that the copyright remains with you and the terms you are licensing the use of the photos for.  This can be anything from unrestricted to a very specific usage depending on client needs.

Chris. Thank you

Here’s one of the photos that triggered this topic.

ac088eeeb265647f5f4c0b63f3340fd0.jpg

Nice work, I can see why they would want to use that for marketing.

• Like 1

Nice work, I can see why they would want to use that for marketing.

Thank you. You can check out the other photos on my IG or FB@fstopmovies

if you guys see them anywhere without my photo credit it’s not supposed to be. Agreement was that they would always credit me with the use of the photos.

I did google Photography Pricing guide and got quite a bit of info but all related to top side photos.

Based on what I gathered the photos could run anywhere between 275 to 600 a photo based on resources required to pull off the shoot, etc. I was shooting between 25 and 45m. For them to recreate everything would be a bit challenging.

Thanks all and happy I found this group

First, great shot. Love it and I see why they would want it.

Second, I sell enough uw images to have a sense of what you might charge, but that depends on 1) how bad the company needs such a photo, 2) the rarity of your image (e.g., does someone else have a similar image?), 3) what media will it be used for and how frequently and 4) will it be on the home page of a website or the cover of some form of print media.  

I typically charge $150-$300 per photo if they just want use for social media and marketing purposes. However, if it is a rare species or photo, then I may up the charge to 400$.  But the biggest jump in price comes when people want to use the shot on their home page (website) or the cover of a book/magazine/etc.  In those cases I charge $500-$1,000.  

You have a unique shot, but I think about 250-400$ is fair unless they want it for the front page of their website or on the cover of their marketing materials. In those cases they are using your shot to drive sales, and I find that companies are willing to pay more in such cases. 

The key is knowing your market. I will soften on prices when I think the customer doesn't have the extra cash. I will stand firm on prices when I know the company has money and will be using my shot to market their product.  If they don't buy my shot, that is fine, but nine times out of ten they come back to me willing to pay my price.  

Hope this helps, great luck selling your shot.

John

• Like 1

Hope this helps, great luck selling your shot.
John

John. This is ready great. Thanks so much. Very helpful.

3 hours ago, fstopmovies said:

John. This is ready great. Thanks so much. Very helpful. emoji1431.png

No problem. People helped me figure all of this out and so I can only pass along that help and what I have learned. Your shot is stunning and I think its worth quite a bit of money to those folks. Good luck!

Sponsors

Advertisements