Sign in to follow this  
hyp

Best Value Compact for Video

I am looking for a compact camera for my Fiancé. I currently shoot stills with an Olympus EM5 and we were planning that while I focus on still she focuses on Video. I have lost track of the compact market so I‘m not really sure what the best options are right now. We were originally considering a GoPro (because it‘s so small) but my girlfriend finds that the screen is a bit too small. Generally though, she wants a small setup with only one light. While wide angle may be an occasional need the focus will certainly be on good macro performance. As wide angle cannot be lit with a single light in most circumstances I thought that this could maybe be solved with a red filter instead to keep the setup small. I am aware of the limitations, but we are not looking for professional quality. I have a Saga+10 that could be used.

As far as I‘ve seen there are currently four options out there that may be interesting: Canon G7XII, Sony RX100, LX10 and LX100. How do these compare with regards to suitability for macro, Autofocus in Video and general video quality options (frame rates etc.)?

TLDR: I‘m looking for the most compact and cheapest macro video platform. 

The LX10 LX100 and RX100 Mark III to V have too short focal length to be useful for macro

The new mark VI looks interesting but it has a port system, Canon have notoriously super short battery but of this lot is probably the most versatile however Canon has not been putting a lot of effort into codecs

Right now I would say RX100 Mark VI as macro will be interesting with a long lens however cheap does not feature here!

It‘s as usual. Choose between cheap and good. The RX100 vi is only 250€ more expensive though and the housing costs the same. Do you think 24mm equiv in the N50 Domeport would be good enough for wideangle (keeping in mind that wideangle is not a priority)? We would lose the possibility to change between WA and macro during the dive, but I don‘t think that is such a big deal.

However, I‘ve heard some not so good things about Sony Whitebalance. It‘s supposed to be improved on the mark vi but does it compete? The Sony does have HLG-Video and Flat profiles though.

Edited by hyp

Sony doesnt white balance but filters work well
The dome port is the least useful as it supports very limited zoom
24mm is ok for reef scenes and people sharks dolphins etc not good for very large animals but overall workable

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Mmh, I'll guess I'll go to a store and handle the cameras to see how they feel. I already own mu43 Panasonic for land and (unfortunately) Olympus for Underwater and I like Panasonics way of menus. I've seen some underwater macro shots from the LX10 and that looked workable. Of course no true macro, but good enough for decent nudi, shrimp etc shots. I thought the compact dome allowed zoom through with in Air FoV? Maybe I was wrong, there seems to be little information on that around. 

I had a LX100 (the first model) for nearly 4 years before moving to a GH5s. While I love the GH5s, I sometimes miss that the LX100.  

LX100 is really nice for video, good at low light, but underwater you need to go the expensive Nauticam road if you want full control (Ikelite and other are partial with manual focus notably missing on Ikelite). And for macro work, you will need the flip holder and lens diopters. Therefore I wouldn't call that bundle a best value package.  

Also the first model of LX100 was good at getting some dust on the sensor at some stage through the lens barel. The repair is expensive. I don't know but hope the problem has been solved on the LX100II .  

• Like 1

Mmh, I'll guess I'll go to a store and handle the cameras to see how they feel. I already own mu43 Panasonic for land and (unfortunately) Olympus for Underwater and I like Panasonics way of menus. I've seen some underwater macro shots from the LX10 and that looked workable. Of course no true macro, but good enough for decent nudi, shrimp etc shots. I thought the compact dome allowed zoom through with in Air FoV? Maybe I was wrong, there seems to be little information on that around. 
Look my blog for the lx100 test there is also the dome and it stops focusing pretty soon
The lx10 has only one port tho

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do you use C-AF for underwater video or do you set it using Backbutton focus and then only occasionally adjust? There seems to be so much more to think about for video compared to stills, where (especially in micro43-land) not much has really happened in the grand scheme of things since the release of the original OMD-Em5.

Do you use C-AF for underwater video or do you set it using Backbutton focus and then only occasionally adjust? There seems to be so much more to think about for video compared to stills, where (especially in micro43-land) not much has really happened in the grand scheme of things since the release of the original OMD-Em5.

The autofocus method in video changes by manufacturer. The first part when you shoot is similar to the camera then you may or not choose to continue refocus based on your area setting
Generally for wide angle at small apertures you go with a fixed focus point. At longer focal length depth of field is limited so if things move you may want to use continuous
Back button is not really a consideration as the camera can stop refocusing anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after doing some basic maths we figured out that housing the already owned Panasonic GX85 with the 14-42mkII and Macro Port 35 costs about the same as buying a RX100VI (housing and camera). With the also already owned Saga +10 and UWL-H100 this should provide a very nice setup for video, including Dual IS. I think the only weakness compared to the Sony is AF but what we lose in AF we gain in whitebalance. Also the larger sensor should improve overall quality a bit. 

Did I miss anything? I saw on your blog that you have tested the 14-42mkII in that port with the UWL-H100 and the samples looked good.

So after doing some basic maths we figured out that housing the already owned Panasonic GX85 with the 14-42mkII and Macro Port 35 costs about the same as buying a RX100VI (housing and camera). With the also already owned Saga +10 and UWL-H100 this should provide a very nice setup for video, including Dual IS. I think the only weakness compared to the Sony is AF but what we lose in AF we gain in whitebalance. Also the larger sensor should improve overall quality a bit. 

Did I miss anything? I saw on your blog that you have tested the 14-42mkII in that port with the UWL-H100 and the samples looked good.

No I agree with the conclusions

You can also use the older UWL-100 achromat slightly better quality found cheap on ebay and slightly wider too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements