Dann-Oh

Sony RX100VA rig set-up

Hello all,

I am in the process of procuring the parts for a Sony RX100VA imaging rig. I have the RX100 inside a Fantasea FRX100VA VAC (Vaccum housing). I also have a Kraken Hydra 1000-WSR+ hand held light.

I am looking for suggestions on for a dual handle tray, arms, strobes, macro and wide angle lenses. You know, basically I'm looking for the whole sha-bang. 

I would like to start with one strobe for now and then get the second strobe as funds allow, unless there is a deal that's too good to pass up.

Check out ULCS for the tray and arms. You can't got wrong with their stuff. 

Strobes: Inon S2000 or Z330. We all love them!

Would you be able to review the attached document to see if there is anything I have missed.  I think I have pieced together a complete underwater system.  Im planning to start with a single strobe to learn the basics then add on a dual strobe as funds allow or needs require.  I appreciate your assistance.

Underwater Lights.xlsx

Dann-oh

Can you just list your plan in the post?

Tim,

Here is the spreadsheet

Camera Sony RX100VA    
  Housing Fantasea FRX100VA VAC  
  *Note: all values are in USD ($) and "X" = already purchased  

Backscatter Part Number *Price *Subtotals
Base w/ Handles base UL-TR-DM 35  
left side base UL-TR-D-UPL 30  
ultralight w/ ball UL-AC-H 50  
ultralight w/ ball UL-AC-H 50 165
Single Arm clamp UL-AC-CSF28 32  
5 inch arm UL-DB-05 48  
clamp UL-AC-CSF28 32  
5 inch arm UL-DB-05 48  
clamp UL-AC-CSF28 32  
Ultralight Inon Strobe adapter UL-AD-IN 25 217
Single Strobe Inon S2000 S-TTL IN-S2000 365  
Inon Optical D Cable - 17in IN-OPDC 85  
Batteries SY-K-KJ17MCA4BA 20 470
Focus Light Inon YS Shoe Base II IN-SHOEBASE-II X  
Kraken Hydra 1000-WSR+   X 0
Second Arm clamp UL-AC-CSF28 32  
5 inch arm UL-DB-05 48  
clamp UL-AC-CSF28 32  
5 inch arm UL-DB-05 48  
clamp UL-AC-CSF28 32  
Ultralight Inon Strobe adapter UL-AD-IN 25 217
Second Strobe Inon S2000 S-TTL IN-S2000 365  
Inon Optical D Cable - 17in IN-OPDC 85  
Batteries SY-K-KJ17MCA4BA 13 463
TOTAL W/ SINGLE LIGHT     852
TOTAL W/ DUAL LIGHT     1532

Macro Lens Inon UCL-330M67 IN-UCL330 140  
Inon UCL-165M67 IN-UCL165 X 140
Wide Angle Inon UWL-100 IN-UWL100-II 300  
Inon UWL-H100 Dome Lens Unit II IN-UWL100-DOME 300 600
TOTAL FOR LENSES     740

TOTAL COMPLETE SETUP     2650
TOTAL REMAINING     2272

Personally, I would not buy the S2000. It has very fiddly controls (if you want to shoot manual) and is by far the weakest strobe. The Sea&Sea YS-01 is not much (or at all) more expensive and stronger. It also is much nicer to use. Sea&Sea has had a lot of issues with the D2, but I've read very little about problems with their weaker strobes. 

I’m not sure I’d go with 2x 5” arms on each side, if I read that correctly.  It seems a little limiting and perhaps better to go with 1x5” and 1x 8” on each side. But maybe I’m missing something about the Sony system. 

On 10/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, hyp said:

Personally, I would not buy the S2000. It has very fiddly controls (if you want to shoot manual) and is by far the weakest strobe. The Sea&Sea YS-01 is not much (or at all) more expensive and stronger. It also is much nicer to use. Sea&Sea has had a lot of issues with the D2, but I've read very little about problems with their weaker strobes. 

Okay sounds good. I will take a look at the sea&sea stuff. I forget who reccomend the S2000 but they enjoyed the performance.

On 10/19/2019 at 12:26 AM, TimG said:

I’m not sure I’d go with 2x 5” arms on each side, if I read that correctly.  It seems a little limiting and perhaps better to go with 1x5” and 1x 8” on each side. But maybe I’m missing something about the Sony system. 

I was not too sure what size arms I should go with. I mostly used the 5" arm as a place holder so I cod build a rough system and corresponding budget.

What is the reasoning for the 1x 5" and 1x 8" arm on each side?

Would the SOLA 3800 lights be useable for photography? There is a set for sale in the classifieds section.

Video lights are really only useable for video. Even the strongest ones provide multiple stops less light compared to the weakest strobes. Unfortunately with lights you have to decide if you want to take pictures or video. You cannot really have a rig that does both well at the same time (unless you use four arms....)

Sponsors

Advertisements