Hi all

Just returned home from a diving trip with a load of Images from my new Sony camera (A6500) all saved in ARW format (Sony's Raw format)  and my version of Lightroom refuses to open them. I have lightroom 5 version 5.7.1. I have checked for updates but it says none available. Has anyone come across this? and if so is there a solution?

Cheers

Sorry for you to hear that. 

Lightroom has stopped any update since version 6 and when they went to CC. 

Have you tried to update Adobe Camera Raw? This should be your solution. 

Eric 

Thanks Eric

no I haven’t tried that. How do you update. Cheers

ian

I just checked on Adobe website.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

Unfortunately this cannot be done... Just a way to force past customers to subscribe to their CC model...

So either you have to subscribe to Adobe CC (10$/month) as i reluctantly had to do (10'000 images already in Lightroom) or move to new software. Lumina 3 is excpetional and really cheap.

Thanks chaps

I have found a workaround that seems to work. I downloaded 'DNG Converter' from the adobe web site. This converts the ARW files to DNG files which can be read by lightroom. I don't know if there are any downsides to this ie loss of information but it seems to work.

Regarding the blackmail subscription for light room I agree with Eric. For people like me who are not constantly using the software it just feels like I'm being ripped off and I have no intention of paying a subscription which in the long term will cost me a fortune. I will have a look at the two packages that you guys have mentioned.

Capture One express is great and will allow you to produce a tiff file you can work on further in lightroom.  The full Pro version is a quite a reasonable replacement for Lightroom.  Their website has a comparison table so you can see what extras you get in the paid version (which is available for a one off charge)

Sponsors

Advertisements