Sign in to follow this  
gdguide

Flexible underwater housings

Hi, I'll be snorkeling for only a few days out of the next few years, and was looking to use my Olympus C3000Z digital camera under water. Considering I won't be snorkeling more than 10 times throuhgout the next few years, the PT housings are too expensive, as is the Ewa Marine DCA-2 case. I contacted Ewa marine about the generic DAM and DMM housings, and they said I would have to get the DCA-2 to fit it in.

Is there a cheaper flexible housing alternative? I don't need to access everything on the camera. Just the shutter, and hopefully the macro button and zoom. Anyone know of other companies that make more generic housings that are relatively cheap? Thanks for any advice.

Brian H

[Edited on 2-5-2002 by gdguide]

Only snorkeling a few days over the next few years? Cheaper than the EWA? Only need the shutter, macro and zoom buttons? And you want really cheap? The only thing that comes to mind that fills your requirements is a Ziplock™ baggie! For extra protection, double bag it. And don't forget the rubber band around the lens. ;)

Seriously, I doubt you'll find what you describe. If you want a digitals photo quality, you're gonna have to spend some money for it. Or stick to the cheap disposable cameras rated to 15 ft.

Dee

[Edited on 2-6-2002 by Dee]

I've been thinking it over, and wondering if I just went out and bought the PT casing, use it for about 15 snorkeling trips, and then sell it on Ebay.

Do you think I could sell it for pretty high after I've used it so little? I'd be willing to lose around $100 on it to use it for the trips. Do you think it could sell for lets say $160?

Wow, those aquapacs are pretty neat! Wouldn't use one for serious underwater photography but I may look into a big one to use as a dry camera bag for land trips during my Galapagos trip (and for a dive boat dry bag)!

Also, in answer to the eBay question. I have had very good luck reselling PT-style housings there. Actually made money on the first one I sold, even after I used it on a couple trips. The best way to check is to go to eBay and do a search of completed items. If you do that, you will see that most PT-010s have been going for at least $200 these days. Keep in mind that the market price may drop a bit as more people buy the housings and Oly moves on to different camera designs.

Mike

Hey, those Aqua packs are more what I'm looking for. I checked out their digital camera bag though, and it would be quite tight, and maybe not quite fit my C3000Z. The readius of my camera is maxed out in their digital camera bag when my lens is extended. That's more what I'm looking for though. I was hoping I could find a generic casing that was a bit bigger than that, but around that price range.

I still might get the PT housing and just sell it on Ebay after my trips.

Once on a dive trip, I met a bunch of Italians using EWA bags with Nikon F90x and strobes.

Everyday there was one casualty, the bag somehow leaked. There is no hope for the camera after that.

It is hard to say if it was the bag or the user that did not seal or take care of the bag. All 4 of them to go on one dive trip is statistically not a good result.

It is not just the money that is gone, but the chance to photograph your dive trip is also gone.

Then again these were divers, going down to 100+ feet. Not sure if those bags are meant for that kind of depth. It might be perfectly great for snorkelling.

So, get the proper casing, then sell it on ebay.

ROFL!!! If they took those EWA bags down to 100 feet, that was "User Error" for sure. Those bags are designed for snorkelling (0-30') and the occasional splash on a whitewater rafting trip...NOT 100' dives!

Cheers

James

Could not figure out what ROFL means until I saw it on Rodale "Common abbreviations and message board jargon".

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements