Hi,

I'm a new full-frame D850 user.  I find that at the wide zoom position, the Tokina 10-17 seems to see its hood.  Does anyone know of a fix for this?  I've set the camera to DX mode and tried with AutoDX enabled as well.

Thanks!

You can cut off the hood.  I have seen on the Tokina website that they sell this a version of this same lens with no hood for FX cameras.  People have successfully cut it off themselves with a dremell tool.  Alternatively if you zoom out a bit to 12-13mm it should no longer vignette on FX. 

You are choking a marvelous camera by using a poor lens for it. You should sell it and buy the Sigma 15FE. Overall the costs to swap them out are very low, maybe $250 or so.

The 10-17 is not an FX lens, it will vignette and does not resolve anywhere near enough resolution for the D850, even in DX mode.

I agree with Jack! Or the Nikkor 8-15. 

I had this issue with my D800 as well. Swapped to Nikon 8-15 and its gone, plus that lens is alot sharper.

Thanks everyone!  I guess it's time for a new lens!  How do you feel about the Nikon 8 - 15, given its cost?

Thanks!

I’m using the 8-15 with a D500. It’s excellent!

I’m not entirely sure about the 8mm end - even on FX. Its a curious effect. But about 11mm to 15mm is highly useable and very sharp on both FX and DX. 

Thanks, Tim!

Sponsors

Advertisements