phxazcraig

Any macro lens support for D850 /Nauticam longer than 105mm?

I truly love shooting with my 105vr (Nauticam housings, D810 and D850).   However, for most of my usual subjects it is a bit short.  I tried using a 1.4TC and 30mm extension, and while that was almost the exact focal length I wanted, the IQ loss was too noticeable to me to stick with it.

Is there a port / extension / macro lens for Nauticam housings in the 150-180mm range?

PhxAZCraig

By stacking extension rings you can use either Nikon's 200mm f4 Micro-nikkor or the 70-180mm f4.5-5.6 Micro-nikkor zoom lens.  Both lenses are considerably longer than your 105mm VR.  If what you want is simply more magnification you might try either your 105mm VR or the 200mm Micro-nikkon with a dual element close-up lens such as the now discontinued Nikon Close-up lens 6T with give you a magnification of about 1.4x with the 105mm VR and almost 2x with the 200mm Micro-nikkor. I think you will find the image quality does not suffer nearly as much as with any tele-converter

the Sigma 150 is another option and again, just a specific extension ring will allow it to work

On 10/25/2019 at 11:17 PM, phxazcraig said:

I truly love shooting with my 105vr (Nauticam housings, D810 and D850).   However, for most of my usual subjects it is a bit short. [...]

Is there a port / extension / macro lens for Nauticam housings in the 150-180mm range?

What do you mean it is a bit short? You are too close from your subjects? or the magnification is not strong enough?

Meaning I'll crop less with a 150-180mm focal length.

Right, but are you looking for more working distance or more magnification?

If you're already as close to the subject as the lens will focus and you still find yourself needing to crop a lot because the subject is just too small, then you need a close-up diopter, , not a longer lens - a 150/180/200mm will just force you to stay further out and will not, by itself, go past 1:1 magnification (36x24mm frame size).

If, on the other hand, you're having trouble getting close enough to subjects without spooking them, or disturbing the environment, or whatever else, then a longer lens (you have a choice of Nikon 200mm f/4, Sigma 180mm f/2.8 and Sigma 150 f/2.8) will be useful with smaller subjects, but will restrict you to partial shots on anything larger than 10cm or so.

If it's reef features getting in the way that prevent you from getting close to the subject, you may also want to consider a muck diving destination - with the bottom being mostly bare sand and rubble, getting low and close to the subject is much less challenging than in a delicate coral reef environment.

I'm aware of the differences between close-up diopters and a longer focal length.

I'm looking for a macro lens in the 150-180 range that has support for use in a Nauticam housing including a recommended macro port and extension, if necessary.   Focus ring would be nice but not needed.   Vibration Reduction would be highly desirable.    The old Nikon 70-180 zoom macro would really be nice, though pretty long I suspect.

Nauticam's port charts list support for the Canon 180mm macro lens using a port base, and 30 + 40mm compact extensions with compact port 50.  the specs say the 200mm f4 micro-nikkor is 7mm longer than the 180mm macro, so more than likely would fit if you substituted the compact port 60 for the 50, or used 2x 40mm extensions.

The Canon 180mm macro is not a particularly snappy focuser though, not sure how it compares with the Nikon 200mm f4.  The Sigma 150mm f2.8 is reputed to be a snappier focuser, and it is stabilised - specs say it is 150mm long and has narrower diameter  compared to the 186mm long Canon 180mm macro, so needs 34 mm less extension so swapping the 50mm port for a 15mm port should work, but you'd need to check as the accuracy of the specs may not be perfect.

Edited by ChrisRoss

Would it not be the case that as a macro lens uses a flat port, as long as the EXR/port will fit the lens barrel and any focussing extension,  the actual length isn't crucial? Just avoid vignetting by using a too long EXR; and not too short to stop any focussing extension....

So a Goldilocks EXR?

On 10/28/2019 at 7:21 AM, phxazcraig said:

I'm aware of the differences between close-up diopters and a longer focal length.

I'm looking for a macro lens in the 150-180 range that has support for use in a Nauticam housing including a recommended macro port and extension, if necessary.   Focus ring would be nice but not needed.   Vibration Reduction would be highly desirable.    The old Nikon 70-180 zoom macro would really be nice, though pretty long I suspect.

_Z6X2544.jpg.249e63054c6e207a6b8eef562addcfcc.jpg

Yes it is fairly long. This is solved by stacking port extension tubes as needed per Tim's point. The above photo shows how I use it use with just the zoom ring which is near the lens mount. Something like this should work with most housings once you get the appropriate gear for your housing. The focusing ring is more problematic since it is quite far from the lens mount. Special tubes incorporating a focusing knob were built for this (used also for the 200 macro). As well one needs a gear for the M-A ring that you see here to switch focusing modes. The older (non AFS)  60 and 105 macros and a few other lenses also have these rings so you may be familiar with them. I have the lens set to minimum focusing distance (lens is thus shown at maximum physical length) and the ring set at A effectively locking it here so long as AF in the camera is set to off.

Also on the lens is the Nikon close-up lens No. 6T. I used the UV as a lens cap when I removed it from the housing then later found a 62mm cap to go on so I am using the "belt and suspenders" principle by leaving both on. The 6T is hard to find so it is a good idea to protect it while out of a housing. It is quite thick and does not fit in a standard filter case so I store it on the lens. With this setup I can vary the magnification using the zoom while holding the rig in a fixed position - this minimizes water movement between the port and subject. Working distance is just a few inches (working distance can be changed by using the other T close up lens (it is either plus  or minus 1 from 6) or by focusing).

Hidden under the zoom gear is a rubber ring that Nikon installed when I had them remove the tripod foot that is not user removable.

14 hours ago, TimG said:

Would it not be the case that as a macro lens uses a flat port, as long as the EXR/port will fit the lens barrel and any focussing extension,  the actual length isn't crucial? Just avoid vignetting by using a too long EXR; and not too short to stop any focussing extension....

So a Goldilocks EXR?

I would agree with that, though if you want to add wet lenses a closer fit is more important.  A non extending lens is preferred and I'm pretty sure the Sigma lens does not extend.  It just has not been measured up for a port combination.   If there is a nearby UW retail store visiting to try out some port combinations would solve that issue.

Wow, that 70-180 is a lot bigger than I had expected!   I was thinking of something about the size of my 105vr with the 1.4tc attached.  For that I just added a 30mm extension ring, and it really had the focal length I wanted.  Problem was, I also saw more image degradation than I was willing to accept.  

I have a focus gear for the 105vr, by the way, but never used it. I like the speed and accuracy of the autofocus on the D850, but that is with the bare 105.   Adding the TC also slows it down noticeably, probably leading to some of the loss of sharpness in some cases.

I keep thinking about maybe a Sigma 150, but I don't know if it is too wide for the 105's macro port.   The 105vr only takes 62mm filters, and it seems the Sigma takes 72.  I also read that the OS is a bit suspect and the autofocus accuracy is a bit more suspect.  Sigh.

PhxAZCraig

The Sigma should fit, the port charts tell the tale, the 105mm takes the compact port 50 with compact port base 18211 and extensions.

The Can 180 mm also uses compact port base and compact port 50 and 70mm of extensions.  It is 82.5 dia x 186.

The sigma latest model is 79.6 x 137mm if you look at the differences you need 186-137 = 49mm less extension.  so take the 70mm extension used by the Canon 180mm and subtract 49mm = 21mm .  This means you need a 20 or 30 mm extension with the sigma.  Depending on which port option you have for your 105mm you probably have the ports required to try it.

@phxazcraig - I too used to want the Nikon 70-180mm zoom macro for the same reasons. I sourced one and then learned how difficult it is to house - basically you need to get a custom port made by your manufacturer - only Sea&Sea (I think) made an actual port specific to the lens. 

In addition, when shot on land, the lens proved to be quite "soft" on my D800.

To decrease any further frustrations, I sold the Nikon zoom lens and picked up an SMC wet diopter. 

I also recall having conversations at the time (~2015) with the folk at Reef Photo about trying to house the Sigma 150 - not certain what the exact issues were, but there may have been some mentioned (size?).

Edited by DocTock

Sponsors

Advertisements