John Doe II

BMPCC6K Housing is listed on Nauticam site

This looks to be a big step forward in reasonable priced underwater video.

https://www.nauticam.com/products/na-bmpcc6k-housing-for-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-6k-ef-lens-mount

It uses the N120 port system so can take the WACP - this is an exciting housing!

Yes, now come the arguments. Don't need 6K, 6K is a waste etc etc. Except that 6K allows cropping and image stabilising with PLENTY of room to spare.

EF mount lenses. S35 Sensor. 50P@6K 60P@5.7K. 12 Bit RAW. 13 Stops of DR (Claimed). Can be used with WACP underwater.

To me this seems to be compelling for the money. Surely there is better if you have the deepest pockets, but for the money for what this is...to me it's a homerun!

Thoughts ?

Edited by John Doe II
added a spec

you beat me to it. I was about to post the link :} 

With 12 bit RAW recovering details in the shadows or highlight is much more possible than the good GH5. Cause even the10 bit at 400mbs the GH5/s cant compete with BMPCC6K. 6k should give better options for reframing/cropping as well. And as you mentioned, the 60 fps at high resolution is a great plus. The WACP looks great if one can afford it.

With my past experience with BM color science, RAW and HDR, this setup up is hard to beat. I am contemplating but my GH5s is good enough for now. Isn’t it? :wacko:

• Like 1

Looks great!

Good choices now if you are coming from m43 or canon to BM as both BMPCC’s are nice.

Real shame they went EF and didn’t licence the newer canon mount.

The image quality ( ignoring resolution for the moment ) seems very similar between the BMPCC4K and the BMPCC6K, the 6 does seem to have better shadow recovery - but it’s super close especially with colour and highlights.

In regards to Resolution. I was really shocked how much more resolution you get with 5.7 / 6K frames compared to 4K, and downsampling those to 4K you are getting more colour info per pixel. Nice it have and like you say some cropping ability in post too. Would love 6K on my BMPCC4K!!

However it seems 6K S35 underwater comes at a cost. The total cost of getting the 6K underwater compared to the 4K when you factor in the cost of the WACP vs WWL1, the $1000 difference in body and optics, I’m sure is probably going to be towards $5k in cost differential. Ouch.

Plus there is the issue of the S35 crop and not utilising all of the WACP benefits.

Defo want one / more resolution! But a few gotchas and price issues not making me want to drop everything for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good points.

I think the main takeaway is that for 12'ish K USD look at what one gets. It's quite amazing really. I think one could safely say for 15K you are fully rigged with everything including lights. And that's for all new gear.

It's easy to have 15K invested in an underwater setup for stills much less for a 12 Bit RAW video at 60P setup at 6K. I've just been through buying a used setup here on Wetpixel for stills and even though it's only for a D800 setup in a Seacam housing, it still comes out to to around 7K fully rigged by time I buy the bits and pieces that I need to finish the setup (and that's before I sink money into the 13mm Nikonos Seacam conversion lens which is another 4.5K USD)

Not so long ago, a setup with 6K/60P/Housing with so so optics would have been easily double this and most likely a bit more again. The WACP is what makes this compelling. 5K for the WACP yes, but look what it gives for the 5K.

Not sure of the exact wording but the Chinese proverb...May you live in interesting times......

We are surely living in interesting times when it comes to imaging! I am just glad I did not jump into a Canon C200 setup 18 months ago because this setup is every bit as good for half the money.

The housing itself looks quite good. I like the controls on the left side of the housing. Same as found on the high end Red housings they do. This housing is a step in the right direction.

Yes the newer canon mount would have been nice for sure. It would push up prices though and what is gained? If ones plan is to use the WACP then the canon lens of choice is an old EF 28-70mm lens! Amazing how this WACP works out. Forget high end PL mount cine lenses......a lowly old EF mount lens outperforms the best of the cine lenses for underwater work.

The 6K camera itself is not that far above the 4K - that's true. But I will take every little bit of advantage I can get. That combined with the pluses of the WACP - well its compelling I think.

Who's first ?

Edited by John Doe II
Typo

EDIT:

Should note here that this footage *IS NOT* BMPCC6K footage. Rather, it shows the 28-70mm versatility in the WACP port.

Edited by John Doe II

Sponsors

Advertisements