Zloj_YKcyc

Underwater macro photography with wet or dry magnification lenses?

Hey everyone! 

Was wondering if there is a difference between screw on m67 zoom lenses for macro photography. There are a range of ones available for underwater, but has anyone tried using ones which are not dedicated for underwater use? If yes, what was the outcome? And which ones you've used?

Cheers!

using a magnifiying lens with the same thread but not designed for under water, you loose strength.  The design does not expect the glass/water interface. If you mean inside the housing, off course you can use the ones like the canon 250D or 500D that screw straight on the lens. But then you have to maybe adapt your port.

If you try to use a dry diopter underwater, it will not work. Lenses work by having a different refractive index than the surrounding medium, but the refractive index of water is much closer to that of glass than air, so a glass lens immersed in water has a significantly reduced effect on light passing through it. The underwater diopters work by having air inside the lens assembly, which substantially increases complexity and cost - but cannot be avoided in underwater usage. Salt water may also corrode metal parts of lenses not designed for immersion.

You can use a dry diopter inside a port if there is sufficient free space, but then you lose the ability to focus at longer distances, since you cannot remove the diopter while the housing is sealed. Extension tubes can provide a similar effect.

I tried a cheap +10 dioptre "close-up" lens in water and can confirm that it does work.  Sure, you don't get +10 in water - it's more like +4 but that can still be useful.  Having had a play with it on a couple of trips I then bought a 'proper' Nauticam CMC with flip holder and that's got noticeably better corner sharpness and a bit more magnification but it was the flip holder that made it worth the money.

Be careful if you try using a dioptre inside the port that the combination still fits and doesn't hit the glass port when zooming or focussing as getting any scratches out would be a pain.

I used a canon 500D closeup lens in the past. It gave the ability to focus closer, but it comes at a catch. It also makes your camera not focus on object that are a little furhter away / that are bigger. 

Nowadays I stick to wet diopeters, those have more flexibility. With a flip adapter it is easy to put on underwater, when needed and not loose the option to focus on larger subjects.

While a single element dry close up lens will work with reduced effect it will be severely affected by chromatic aberration

This subject has been beaten to death not just here but also on scubaboard in the gopro section years ago as those kind of users are especially inclined at spending $10 on lens or light and expect some magic result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements