Bevanj

WACP or upgrade from 5D3 to A7RIV?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are. I'm currently shooting with a 5D MK3 in a Nauticam housing usually using a Sigma 15mm  fisheye lens. 

Right now, I'm trying to decide which way to go -  I can upgrade my camera body to something else (A7R4 tempts me), or I could buy a WACP? 

Right now, I'm very much tempted by the autofocus system and dynamic range of the Sony, but at the same time I know full well that putting that camera behind a dome port will have serious limitations on the quality of image it can produce.  This makes me tempted to go and get myself a WACP for use on my 5DIII. I already have a mint Canon 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 MKV that I scored for <$25USD specifically for if I chose to buy one. 

With the WACP, I'm guessing it also follows the above water rule of that glass is more important than the camera behind it. If I was to buy a WACP, I'm guessing that the value retention is going to be far far better than a new camera and housing which seem to depreciate sharply. 

I gather the WACP is a brick to travel with, but I can live with that. 

Also, does anyone know if the front element on the WACP is replaceable if it gets scratched? 

Thoughts?
Bevan 

55 minutes ago, Bevanj said:

Also, does anyone know if the front element on the WACP is replaceable if it gets scratched? 

Thoughts?
Bevan 

I have wondered about this myself. Looks like the shade comes off but I have not seen what it looks like after this. It would be cool if one could swap out the front glass oneself to enable field repair assuming one had a spare on hand.

A new cycle of cameras are due starting with the 1Dx3 and D6. We do not know at this time whether there will be a new 5D as well. If so this would be a good upgrade for you in a year or so that would work with your WACP. I would wait to see what the 1D equivalent mirrorless turns out to be before switching to Sony especially if you have a lot of EF glass.

Not being a Sony fan after an intense and expensive ‘affair’ recently, the 7riv and 9ii hold no sway with me. In your shoes, I’d get the WACP now and await the next round of mirrorless from Nikon/Canon.

Sponsors

Advertisements