divrndeep

ATTENTION: UW PHOTOGRAPHERS going to Baja Mexico:

Marcus,

When I went to Guadalupe I also made it through Mexico City and Tijuana, and I should tell you they did try to shake me down in the former, but not on the latter. Bear in mind this was before it was actively enforced (Sept 2019) and that I speak native Spanish, so I managed to get away with not paying anything. 

Best of luck with it and with the great whites

Thanks mate, i will see.

I can't change it i have to bring the equipment so i will see what i get ;-)

I went to Cabo at the end of May for a dive trip to Socorro.  Several people from our boat got hit by the tax, some up to $400 for high end Nauticam housings and Ports. I managed to get through with out getting caught.

I tried to be a bit sneaky and it worked. I was carrying two rebreathers and my DSLR gear. I put the rebreathers in pelican cases, and packed my camera gear in a standard suitcase. I went through the customs gate first with the two pelican cases with just dive gear. Of course the agents zeroed in on the Pelicans and had my open them. Meanwhile my wife slipped through unbothered with the suitcases full of camera gear.

• Like 3

I have been traveling to Mexico for years.  I actually looked at buying a property there once, many years back.  Mostly I try to shrug off the seemingly never-ending corruption and scams,  but sometimes I find myself feeling really tired of it and like I just won't go back.  Recently I was booking a trip to Mexico and I just couldn't do it and booked a trip elsewhere.   It actually felt kind of satisfying to give the finger to Mexico, figuratively speaking.   Not saying I won't go back, but there is this bit of irritation every time I start looking at it.

I mean, come on, you don't pay duty anywhere in the world on personally owned items you take on a vacation and bring back home with you.  What's next?  "Duty" on my watch or shoes or cell phone whatever? 

I actually have Mexico-specific packing practices, and that just feels wrong. 

Okay, rant over.  I feel better now.

• Like 2

In all fairness they are upfront with this rules, and it's the same in lot of country in Asia, or like in the stupid French/Swiss border, that I cross at least twice a week every week day for 7 years.

And no one time have a swiis boarder boy that try to make me pay import tax on my photo & diving gear (brand new on the back sit, stupid of me). Cost me hours to retrieve the proof of tax payment in France and to show that I was a transboarder worker.

Know a lot that had to pay something, and claim back at the exit (good luck to get your refund in less than 2 months)...

just my 2 cts.

Have a great day.

I am so glad I stumbled upon this, such a great info with huge consequences. I was thinking of travelling to Mexico for diving but I won't be doing that any longer. It is such a shame since I was so set on Socorro. 

On 10/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, Ced Ferre said:

In all fairness they are upfront with this rules, and it's the same in lot of country in Asia, or like in the stupid French/Swiss border, that I cross at least twice a week every week day for 7 years.

no, they are not upfront, and are flat out violating their own rules.   You're permitted two cameras and their accessories.   A housing is an accessory.   The Nautilus Fleet gives you a playbook for responding to the shakedown.   Unfortunately, it doesn't work and the boat operators are a pretty tiny part of the tourism industry in Cabo.   

I would like to go to Cabo Pulmo and a cruise up or down the Sea of Cortez, but not while this continues.   I've scratched my Socorro and Guadalupe itches.  

Sponsors

Advertisements