Jump to content
divrndeep

ATTENTION: UW PHOTOGRAPHERS going to Baja Mexico:

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This tread is, for me, a great warning to go to Baja Mexico (I was there once in 91, it was phantastic, but under these circumstances I will certainly refrain from going there by airoplane). I am not going to be the idiot for the mexican border guards...

I have a question: Does anybody know how the situation is, when going there by rental car, just from California (US) via the street? Do they apply at this border the same stupid rules?

The reason, why I am asking, is that I will retire in two weeks and will have plenty of time :yahoo:. I have been once in California (Pasadena) for a year and still have very good friends there, that I plan to visit on this occasion (including dives in the kelpforests there). They suggested that we make a  roadtrip down to Baja California (starting fom LA) together. I only will join, when the regulations at the regular border at the road are less stupid, as I intend to take all my UW-photographic equipment with me...

 

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

The reason, why I am asking, is that I will retire in two weeks and will have plenty of time :yahoo:

Yay! Congratulations! I hope you have a very long and fun-filled one. I can recommend it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

This tread is, for me, a great warning to go to Baja Mexico (I was there once in 91, it was phantastic, but under these circumstances I will certainly refrain from going there by airoplane). I am not going to be the idiot for the mexican border guards...

I have a question: Does anybody know how the situation is, when going there by rental car, just from California (US) via the street? Do they apply at this border the same stupid rules?

The reason, why I am asking, is that I will retire in two weeks and will have plenty of time :yahoo:. I have been once in California (Pasadena) for a year and still have very good friends there, that I plan to visit on this occasion (including dives in the kelpforests there). They suggested that we make a  roadtrip down to Baja California (starting fom LA) together. I only will join, when the regulations at the regular border at the road are less stupid, as I intend to take all my UW-photographic equipment with me... 

 

Wolfgang

Congrats Wolfgang! I've heard that if you drive; it should be fine as it's only the custom agents at the airports in Baja that rip you off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a lot of road trips into Mexico with underwater camera equipment and never had any issues with customs agents in Mexico. Regulations do limit the number of cameras you can bring, but I've never been questioned about how many cameras I've got.

-Tinman

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm considering a dive charter that runs from the top of the Gulf down to La Paz, as it will let me get one tour of the area I've not been, without having to meet the gauntlet.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, calbeardiver said:

I'm considering a dive charter that runs from the top of the Gulf down to La Paz, as it will let me get one tour of the area I've not been, without having to meet the gauntlet.  

Hi Calbeardiver,

This sound sinteresting. Could you disclose the adress of this charter?

Wolfgang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2022 at 12:18 AM, Architeuthis said:

Hi Calbeardiver,

This sound sinteresting. Could you disclose the adress of this charter?

Wolfgang

I'm sorry I missed your question when it could have been useful information.

Blue Water Photo in LA ran the trip which started last week (22nd) for 12 days on the Rocio Del Mar.   Charter price was 4495.  

BW has a couple of these each year, but I suspect the boats do it more frequently - iow, this isn't a repositioning charter.   If you want the full trip description, PM me and I'll send a url (which otherwise might border on advertizing?).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...