I feel like a bit of an idiot having to ask this question, as I've had my D500 for quite a while. I want to use rear curtain sync, but as the camera does not have its own flash, it seems that the sync mode is set on the flashgun. Thats fine for my speed light on land, but using my Z-240's underwater, I don't know how to do this. I use the Inons in manual mode and I don't think I can set rear/front curtain sync. Can anyone "shed any light" on this please?

It may not be possible as camera needs to know the characteristics of the flash to get it to time correctly.  How are you triggering? electrically with sync cords or optically with a flash trigger or TTL converter?

Underwater flash can be quite confusing and there's lots of ways of doing it, some TTL converters I think might be able to do it:  https://www.backscatter.com/reviews/post/Underwater-Camera-and-Housing-TTL-Reference-Guide

Edited by ChrisRoss

I have a Nauticam housing, which has some kind of electrical to optical converter. Feeling a bit sheepish that I did not understand it better. I’m sure I’ve used rear curtain sync on my previous camera (D200).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, some Nikon cameras allow "Rear curtain sync" option, only if recognize TTL protocol (flash, or TTL-Converter). But i am not sure regarding D500.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

Thank you.

I have made a noobie error. For the benefit of anyone else asking this daft question:
To select whether the flash fires at the beginning or end of the exposure in the D500, there is a button (4th below menu) which allows selection of front or rear curtain sync with the rear selector wheel. I was looking for a menu option.

Sponsors

Advertisements