tursiops

New Nauticam Wet Wideangle WWL-C

it is interesting that the LX10 is not mentioned in the compatibility list?

Sony confirms best compatibility for the range together with the TG-5 series however those cameras work fine with older design like UWL-04 already

I thought the same thing. Most interesting thing about this will probably be the price compared to the full sized WWL. The 500€ are only a deposit I believe.

The obvious upside to this new lens is that you can zoom through to 24mm which many older compact wet lenses do not allow you to do. The lens is very low profile, works with the bayonet mounting system to move between C/U lens and wide. Unlike the larger WWL-1 the WWL-C has a built in buoyancy collar. 

So, a 0.42x converter? Instead of 0.36x so far?

It's not quite rational, but I'm kind of getting the hots for a Sony RX100V with this.
(Not rational because I have a Panasonic LX100 now.)

Edited by horvendile

So, a 0.42x converter? Instead of 0.36x so far?

It's not quite rational, but I'm kind of getting the hots for a Sony RX100V with this.
(Not rational because I have a Panasonic LX100 now.)

The zoom range depends on the port system. The models that have a fixed port perform over the full zoom range
I would expect the Panasonic LX10 to work well as the RX100

The 0.42x means nothing like 0.36x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

The 0.42x means nothing like 0.36x

I did express myself a bit muddily. I was thinking:

The WACP and, IIRC, the WWL-1 are 0.36x converters working from 28 mm equivalent*, giving a 28-70 mm lens (equiv) a field of view corresponding to 10-25 mm. I haven't done the calculation right now (still early...) but I think 10 mm equiv is 130 degrees.

If this one gives 130 degrees at 24 mm equivalent, that should correspond to a 10/24 = 0.42x converter. With the amount of workable zoom-through depending on specific camera/port.

Is that wrong?

*with "28 mm equivalent" I mean a focal length giving, on the camera in question, a field of view equivalent to 28 mm focal length on a full frame camera.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, horvendile said:

I did express myself a bit muddily. I was thinking:

The WACP and, IIRC, the WWL-1 are 0.36x converters working from 28 mm equivalent*, giving a 28-70 mm lens (equiv) a field of view corresponding to 10-25 mm. I haven't done the calculation right now (still early...) but I think 10 mm equiv is 130 degrees.

If this one gives 130 degrees at 24 mm equivalent, that should correspond to a 10/24 = 0.42x converter. With the amount of workable zoom-through depending on specific camera/port.

Is that wrong?

*with "28 mm equivalent" I mean a focal length giving, on the camera in question, a field of view equivalent to 28 mm focal length on a full frame camera.

No that is correct on the diagonal but I do not shoot diagonals I shoot horizontal subject so the WACP and WWL-1 on that axis are 0.5x and this new lens 0.58x 

Check the table here https://interceptor121.com/2019/05/12/nauticam-wwl-1the-best-wide-angle-lens-for-underwater-video-on-the-gh5-and-other-micro-four-thirds/

5 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

No that is correct on the diagonal but I do not shoot diagonals I shoot horizontal subject so the WACP and WWL-1 on that axis are 0.5x and this new lens 0.58x 

Check the table here https://interceptor121.com/2019/05/12/nauticam-wwl-1the-best-wide-angle-lens-for-underwater-video-on-the-gh5-and-other-micro-four-thirds/

Right! I get it. Thanks!

I too am very interested in this lens.  I hope not listing the LX10 case is just an oversight because I'm not looking to get a different camera at this point. 

Will Nauticam be able to solve the corner softness and significant vignetting that most of the other wide angle lenses have with compact 24mm cameras?    

It appears to be more like the WWL-1 than like "most of the other wide  angle lenses." And the WWL-1 is unique among wet lenses in NOT having the corner softness problem.

Nauticam doesn’t create optics copying others or planning to deliver substandard products
I would expect this has been carefully designed and (by the time it comes out) tested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was interested enough in the compatibility with their LX10 case that I messaged Nautiacam and they said,

"This combination [NA-LX10 + WWL-C] hasn't been tested yet, but we will evaluate for compatibility before the lens ships."

So, it wasn't excluded from the list on purpose.  When finally tested, I'm definitely hoping it works well with the LX10.

Sponsors

Advertisements