jmark18

Sony A6500 settings

I have changed from my beloved Nikon D7000 to A Sony A6500 since my wife refuses to allow me to carry such a heavy amount of gear anymore. I was so used to the menu settings and shooting in manual that it was easy to get decently exposed shots a lot of the time. I feel like a fish out of water with the Sony with its page after page of menu options and a new set of button pushes to learn. I am looking for suggestions for settings to start with to ease my transition. I plan to shoot in manual and have the option of both sync cords or fiber optics to trigger Inon Z330 flashes. Thanks for any advice

I have seen that page. I am looking for more in depth information as there are so many damn settings available

Honestly, it isn't that complicated... Looking through my A6300 menus, I have, among those that are relevant:

• Quality: RAW - there is no real reason to shoot JPEG underwater
  • Drive mode: single - can't really shoot bursts with strobes and pop-up flash, maybe with a LED trigger and low power
  • Flash mode: rear curtain sync
  • Focus mode: DMF for macro, AF-C for wide-angle
  • Focus area: Center
  • AF illuminator: Off
  • AF drive speed: Fast
  • AF track sens: High
  • ISO: 100 for macro, auto 100-800 for wide-angle
  • Metering mode: Center
  • White balance: Auto
  • SteadyShot: On
  • Zebra: Off - it's useful for video, kind of useless for stills with strobes
  • Grid line: Rule of 3rds
  • Auto review: 2sec - wish there was a 1sec option
  • Peaking level: low for macro, off for wide-angle
  • Peaking color: yellow
  • Live view display: Setting Effect OFF - this is important, as if you turn it on, camera will focus with aperture at your set setting rather than wide open. With it off, it will let it maximum light for focusing, and close the aperture as you take the shot.
  • Priority set in AF-S: AF
  • Priority set in AF-C: Balanced emphasis
  • AF w/shutter: On, but I use a trigger extension. If you want to use back-button focus, this goes to off.
  • Exp.comp.set: Ambient & Flash
  • Monitor brightness: Sunny weather
  • Power save start time: 1 min

As far as shooting goes, I keep it in manual mode, f/8-f/13 for wide-angle with 10-18mm or 16-50mm, f/11-f/16 for macro with 90mm, f/22 for supermacro with 90mm and +13 close-up lens, 1/160 shutter most of the time, a bit slower if I want a brighter blue background. Sometimes I play with flash compensation a bit if I feel that TTL isn't doing the best job. Display mode is almost always the electronic level; it makes a very handy reference. I shoot with both hands on tray handles, triggering via an extension on the right side. Don't really push buttons much while diving; right hand only really leaves the tray handle to adjust aperture via top knob or shutter speed via rear knob.

@Barmaglot apologies for piggybacking in this thread, but would those settings also apply for an a6000? At least as a starting point for a newbie?

A6000 should be pretty much the same, apart from lacking an electronic level, so you'd need to pick a different display mode.

Sponsors

Advertisements