oskar

How to improve weak handles Nauticam EM-5 I setup?

Hi All,

I have an Olympus E-M5 I in Nauticam's housing (NA-EM5) and with the Nauticam tray (flexitray) and dual handles.    On top of the handles i have  strobes with double 5" arms on booth sides.

Now the problem,  I have already broken of on pair of handles and got them replaced by Nauticam at no cost.  The handles are too week at the tray fitting to take up the forces from the handles.Newer Nauticam houses have a stainless steel extension from the top of the handle that attaches to the housing itself. This takes up the side-forces on the handles much better.

Have any of you made or found a ready-made solution for this?  The NA-EM5 mark 1 housing does not have screw fittings on booth sides of the housing so i find it hard to improvise something.

Cheers /O

• I have bought the EM5-mk1 seven years ago and still happy with it!  That camera with the Nauticam housing proved reliable and well designed ergonomically.

However I was dubious about their handles.  I bought the Ultralight brand and could not be happier.  They also have the options to detach it underwater which proved to be very useful to me.

If you can invest in some new handles I recommend them.

• Have you thought of a custom-made aluminium plate to accomodate the same plastic base from Nauticam?

Ciao

Andrea

I am missing my ultralight TR-DM so much. I am about to buy a tray for the GH5 but is very big so I can't find it in stock in UK

I think the handles of housing are not really the strength of Nauticam proposition when they are solid they have too many parts

I missed the obvious reply to use something completely different than flexitray altogether.   What do you propose that is still compact with this housing?

I missed the obvious reply to use something completely different than flexitray altogether.   What do you propose that is still compact with this housing?

Ultralight TR-DM plus extension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nice idea switchblade.  The horizontal bar must be customized though.

The newer Nauticam housings have a customized stainless steel tab to connect top of the housing with the handle top.  I have been thinking about making something like that, but the housing lacks potential fixing point for it

I don't think you will have to do that much customization. You really only need 2 tripple clamps and a ball arm of appropriate length. As you have a bit of play with the clamps it should be easy enough to find one that is the right length. 

Sponsors

Advertisements