horvendile

WACP-2, if the WACP is too light and cheap for you

So ok tongue-in-the-cheek subject title. You have probably seen this already, after all it's in the DEMA article on the front page, but since I don't see any thread about it: the WACP-2.

https://www.nauticam.com/collections/water-contact-optics-for-nav/products/wide-angle-conversion-port-2-wacp-2-140-deg-fov-with-compatible-14mm-lenses-incl-float-collar

Nauticam calls it a 0.8x converter, giving 140 degrees FOV with a 14 mm lens. They explicitly mention the Nikon Z 14-30/4 lens, and since I've been curious about the Z system for diving this especially caught my attention.

Well, one definite advantage with the WACP-2 is that it makes the original WACP look light and affordable. It weighs 7 kg in air and is estimated to have "an estimated MSRP of $5-7,000 USD".

On the other hand, dreaming is fun.

Tangentially, really another subject, but it would be interesting to know if anyone has tried the 14-30/4 lens with the Sea & Sea 82 mm correction lens.

Edited by horvendile

Am not sure how this converter works it mention a low distortion but all their converters are not rectilinear so the field of view is not actually comparable

The sea and sea corrector instead IS rectilinear

Yeah I shouldn't have mentioned the Sea & Sea in this thread really, apparently I just couldn't stop myself when it popped into my head. The corrector has very little to do with the WACP-2.

The relevance it does have is that it's another way, on compatible lenses, to get sharp corners without massive down-stopping.

The sharp corners in fisheye like lenses are the result of corner compression due to barrel distortion

The corners are actually not sharp at all if you had a rectilinear image

Did someone already test the Sea & Sea corrector lens on rectilinear WA lenses with front thread for MFT (with thread adapter, e.g. Zuiko 9-18mm, Pana 8-18mm)?

Would not be a big surprise if the lens would work equally nice and be a great solution compared to all these wet correction lenses/adapters...

In case it works in practice, the lens is certainly worth the money...

Wolfgang

6 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

Did someone already test the Sea & Sea corrector lens on rectilinear WA lenses with front thread for MFT (with thread adapter, e.g. Zuiko 9-18mm, Pana 8-18mm)?

Would not be a big surprise if the lens would work equally nice and be a great solution compared to all these wet correction lenses/adapters...

In case it works in practice, the lens is certainly worth the money...

Wolfgang

Wolfgang

The sea and sea lens is positive meniscus and it will work with any lens however full frame lenses have blurred corners due to depth of field while MFT due to lens correction in built for most. So the best option is to disable lens correction and is not expensive you just need to buy the software see the DxO thread in the editing subforum

The problem with the S&S lens is it is too big for most m43 lenses.  77mm filter threads if I recall correctly.  Basically all it is doing is flattening the field, the lens is imaging a curved surface in the virtual image which means the image plane it produces is also curved.  The lens changes the focus to that the focal surface produced is flatter.  It's probably not too dissimilar to field flatteners used in astronomical imaging.  Many optical designs produce a curved focal surface and a meniscus corrector used close to the focal plane is a common solution - not practical for using in a small format camera, but the same principle seems to be applied with a correcting lens in front of the lens.  In theory you could also do it with an optic attached to the lens mount like a teleconverter, but a front mounted optic is much more universal.

Interesting that the new WACP is rectilinear, pity it's so heavy and $$$.

@ChrisRoss is correct on what the sea and sea part does and yes it is available for 77 and 88 mm threads. The 8-18 panasonic has a 67 mm filter mount the olympus 9 - 18 is smaller all the other MFT wide angle that are housed do not take a filter
I am dubious about this WACP on both land and underwater photography I find 16-35 mm the lens that is a good compromise in terms of range and without excessive perspective distortion the sharp corners are only one consideration and frankly not a major issue at all with my Panasonic 8 - 18. If I had a full frame I would try to make a 16 - 35 mm work not necessarily I would want wider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very interested in the WACP2, partly because it does split shots. There are some nice images from Alex Tattersall on Facebook this week.

As per the original WACP release it's hard to calculate what lens combinations are going to provide what equivalent to a dome setup. I don't think of my pictures in FOV and the lens distances all become irrelevant. I'm kind of glad I never got around to pulling the trigger on the WACP though as the WACP2 looks to be a better fit for what I want to shoot. Though if the WACP suddenly went to half price I would buy one in a heartbeat.

As for the weight...I'm already travelling with a rebreather, camera and six strobes. What's another 7kg??

It is not difficult the WACP is a zoom fisheye effect the equivalent for full frame is an 8-15 mm lens with a 1.4 teleconverter. The WACP has more zoom range though
For the WACP-2 there is only the canon 11-24 am not aware of any Nikon optics that wide. This takes the 230 mm fisheye dome and most likely will have worse performance of WACP-2 plus 16-35 mm
However I would never shoot a rectilinear lens wider than 16 mm anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some test shots on facebook of the WACP 2

First I am confused by the specs it says with a 14 mm lens the field of view is 140 degrees and the magnification is 0.8x

14x0.8=11.2 mm field of view at full frame 125 degrees. To get 140 I need 0.57x

Looking at the images they are not rectilinear so this is not a rectilinear lens is just a less distorted lens

Sponsors

Advertisements