Interceptor121

Benefit of Dome Shaped Strobes / Video Lights / Diffusers

Although there are some manufacturers that have embraced dome shaped lighting (Inon, Keldan, SUPE, others?) most of the best performing strobes or light have a flat surface (Seacam, Retra, Ikelite, Sea and Sea, Gates).

When I look at the few in water tests available like the measurements @bvanant I see that the intensity of Inon strobes for example drops without diffusers anyway quite rapidly despite the dome shape.

I used a pair of Keldan 8X earlier this year and I was not taken away by the dome shape, the light was still quite harsh and did not see a massive benefit from it.

I would like to know if anyone has done any real tests of the benefits whilst am doing my own tests in 'lab environment' and later on in the pool?

No scientific test but the light off on my Keldan 4x is way softer and more gradual than the light off on my Dive Pro. The Dive Pro is really harsh at the corners.

Some like it because it gives a more clear indication of the light pattern and help them adjust. I am undecided at the moment but wouldnt say no to a bit more gradual light off. In most cases its ok because 2 lights easilly cover the WWL 1 and you dont capture the edge of your light beam but in the center where the beams of the two lights meet I think softer is better. Now I tend to push in the DIve pro a bit more so the edge of the beam doesnt not fall in the middle of the frame.

Why are diffusers not popular with video lights? LED arrays are quite harsh even if they are wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements