Chris Kippax

Packing your housing for travel

Hi All

I just want to pick some of your brains on how you travel with your housing.

My thoughts for packing it are in a corrugated heavy duty mailer cardboard box that I will line with some foam. This will be inside a samsonite hard case roller bag.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

No chance to carry on

5kg limit

24 minutes ago, Chris Kippax said:

No chance to carry on

5kg limit

where are you going? How strict is the carry on weight. In places like Indonesia my cary on has never been weighted despite the 7kg limit, its probably closer to 15+kgs. 

Going to Fakarava. I have never had an issue in Indonesia either but apparently Air Tahiti are super strict.

One of the work arounds that I have heard of people doing is buying a large photography vest and placing all your lens/ports, strobes and accessories in it.  Then you can hand carry your housing. I have also seen photographers hand carrying their rig all set up.  By carrying some or all of your rig rather than having it in a carry on you are hoping that the airlines considers it a personal item and doesnt weigh it or weights it on your person.  Of course if you do this I would not carry a carryon bag as to not push it. 

I wish it was that easy. See below for carry on baggage policy

image.png.0d0bc6decad0a43cebf4cbd2da6bfeee.png

Even scarier than the housing will be the Zen 230 dome. For that I have Tupperware cake container padded with acoustic foam

My wife and me have now sucessfully used this travel bags for our Nauticam housings twice in 2019:

https://www.nauticam.com/products/padded-travel-bag-for-mil-housings-w-handles

The Nauticam 140mm N120 domeport is delivered with a similar travel bag and also goes to check in lugagge. For our Zen DP170-N120 we plan to acquire a similar travel bag before our next airoplane trip in February: https://www.nauticam.com/products/padded-travel-bag-for-n120-180mm-optical-glass-wide-angle-port

All bags with housing or port are stuffed in addition with e.g. T-shirts and go to hard chase check-in lugagge without problems. No more UW-housings or domeports in cabin lugagge. Only cameras, lenses, flashes, accus, dive computers, compass, lamp heads and laptop go to cabine lugagge (photo-rucksacks). I also wear a photo west, just in case, as my rucksack is still above 7kg, but so far never had to use it...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

Thanks for the reply

I will check out the Nauticam offerings

When I have had this problem before (Rex in regional Australia) they let me "gate check" the delicate bag. This meant they tagged it at check-in, I carried it through security myself and gave it to a guy standing next to the boarding stairs. I then watched him put it in the plane before I climbed on board. Reversed at the destination - waited at the bottom of the stairs for the housing. This way no baggage handlers chucking things or bouncing around between conveyor belts.

I don't know what Air Tahiti offer but it might be worth asking at check in.

Lots of good ways mentioned to get around the weight limit... the one I've occasionally seen (on flights that were extremely strict on weight) was...

just hand carry the housing (sometimes even with the camera in it). Hold it in your lap for shorter flights... I was on a small plane flight into Labuan Bajo last summer where an entire dive group all hand carried their housings on... it was an interesting sight.

Re: internal flights in French Polynesia 
Taken a number of these flights before. They can be strict - but usually not on weight, but rather on size. You are most likely going to be on an ATR-72 or the smaller ATR-42. Your typical international carry-on with wheels may not fit in the overhead compartments, but I've never seen a reasonably sized backpack not fit. For French Polynesia I carry my camera(s) and key lenses in my backpack, and then have the housing(s) in my checked luggage (in the Nauticam housing bags mentioned above).

I travel on ATR72s a lot. An Osprey Porter 46 backpack with fully constructed housing with 8" dome and four Z240s will fit sideways in the overhead. This same bag slides in end-on on a 737 or similar overhead locker. This is with just the housing in flat - if you stuff clothing/other on top of it then the bag bulges too much to fit.

Of course it weighs 12kg with 5D4, lens, housing and strobes, so depends if they are weighing backpacks or not.

Like this but I upgraded the bag to the Osprey which has much better padding and construction.

post-26465-0-29756800-1500181574.jpg

I always break mine down completely and it all fits nicely in a pelican air that I then carry on. the case is super padded and durable and that way I don't have to even worry about it

Thanks Cfults but my pelican case is over 5kg empty.

Sponsors

Advertisements