Milkman

Smallest strobe for TG5 setup

Coming from a good gopro setup, Hero 7, Inon ULC-G165 SD wide close up lens, pair of Fenix Sd11 video torches on a ultalite tray and arms that is quite good for video and screen capture but want better macro. Just setting up a Olympus TG5, Seafrogs housing and Backscatter M52 wide air lens. Mounted gopro on the cold shoe and using same setup plus a DIY Snoot, but would like to add a small but adequate strobe to the system.  Would like to keep as compact and as light as possible. Any recommendations are appreciated. 1017995441_goprosmall.jpg.96ea72c134b134b3a96704035d774b7a.jpg1802446813_tgsmall.jpg.8029175f9741f57e5864e17afb0dc91b.jpg

I imagine a Sea & Sea YS-01 would be a good start. I have one on my EM5-II that I use for "macro" (not really macro, but shooting from 25-35 cm) a fair amount. The TTL seems work pretty well, very few over/under-exposed closeups. I would suggest you have two sections of arm (or a long flexi-arm) to position the strobe.

I don't have any personal experience, but the new backscatter "ministrobe" claims to be targeted right at your use case.

Edited by bremner
  • Thanks 1

I need my TG-6 system to be as compact as possible for scootering (less drag). I bought the Inon S2000 and am totally thrilled with it. I use a single 8" light aluminum arm and just fold the strobe under it to make a very compact system. For video light I just use a BigBlue 2600 spot/video light.

• Thanks 1

I would take a look at the new Backscatter Ministrobe. It also has a paired snoot for your macro work. All the marketing material features a TG5/6 so it seems to have been pretty much designed with that camera in mind.

• Thanks 1

Sponsors

Advertisements