nudibranco

new nauticam housing for the EM5 mkIII

An news on the upcoming Nauticam housing for the just released EM5 MK3? 

I am wondering if they can stay in line with the compact philosophy of the camera and provide a smaller housing than the one developed for the OMD EM1 MK2.   

Hopefully they can provide a design that fits just a TTL converter and get away from using the new larger flashes.

Andrea

Hi nudibranco,

I would not be surprised if Nauticam decides not to make a housing for EM5III: EM1II has lower street price than EM5III (https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/3239/olympus_om-d_e-m1_mark_ii_mk_2_mirrorless_digital_camera_mft_(body_only)?gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KcwH2c1zPeiWrd0_sWCMCpOn0kpUNUzA_Js9PBPFSSzx13lUs3ymJhoC9PUQAvD_BwEhttps://panamoz.com/digital-cameras/olympus/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-mirrorless-micro-four-thirds-digital-camera-body-only.html) and the size/weight difference for UW is small (considering housing, arms, flashes, focus light, extensions, port). Most important, according to the latest DPreview review ( https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-iii-review?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source), C-AF is noticable slower and less reliable than EM1II. In my opinion the EM5III is not a good choice for UW...

Wolfgang

An news on the upcoming Nauticam housing for the just released EM5 MK3? 
I am wondering if they can stay in line with the compact philosophy of the camera and provide a smaller housing than the one developed for the OMD EM1 MK2.   
Hopefully they can provide a design that fits just a TTL converter and get away from using the new larger flashes.

Andrea
I've personally contacted one of the accessories manufacturer for Olympus housing.

According to him, there will be other brands housing for E-M5.3 around April next year.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

On 12/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, Architeuthis said:

Hi nudibranco,

I would not be surprised if Nauticam decides not to make a housing for EM5III: EM1II has lower street price than EM5III (https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/3239/olympus_om-d_e-m1_mark_ii_mk_2_mirrorless_digital_camera_mft_(body_only)?gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KcwH2c1zPeiWrd0_sWCMCpOn0kpUNUzA_Js9PBPFSSzx13lUs3ymJhoC9PUQAvD_BwEhttps://panamoz.com/digital-cameras/olympus/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-mirrorless-micro-four-thirds-digital-camera-body-only.html) and the size/weight difference for UW is small (considering housing, arms, flashes, focus light, extensions, port). Most important, according to the latest DPreview review ( https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-iii-review?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source), C-AF is noticable slower and less reliable than EM1II. In my opinion the EM5III is not a good choice for UW...

Wolfgang

I agree that unless the em5III drops to at least €800 the EM1II is way better.  Olympus is way underestimating competition and its own EM1II.   

I agree that unless the em5III drops to at least €800 the EM1II is way better.  Olympus is way underestimating competition and its own EM1II.   
101% agreed... Though it'a abit late... But I just ordered my E-M1-II online due to the irresistable 12.12 promotion in our country.

I believe based on the features of E-M1-II and E-M5-III which are 99% similar, I doubt any inprovement over them will ever impress me to justify the price I will be paying. Other than larger MP and maybe wider Base ISO.

And therefore, after thinking abt it for 6 months... I went ahead with the purchase.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Straying slightly, the Olympus iteration and differentiation is not great.  

I am considering the upgrade path from my EM5I, it would be great to stay in the system and only change camera and house, but I would have needed a bigger increment of sensor low light performance to tip the scale for me.     

(or I am just holding on and saving up for a future system change to Sony FF)  

On 12/15/2019 at 1:39 AM, nudibranco said:

full frame underwater is to big for me.    I need a compact setting for easier macro settings and for traveling.

I am trying the GX9 from Panasonic which is slightly better but before I plunge into the housing (Nauticam's is fairly compact) I am waiting for the new EM1III to be announced in 3 weeks and maybe for the new GX10....

I think that nauticam and isotta will release underwater housings to E-M5 Mark III in next mounths. I don't think they reduce the size of underwater housings for this model. A underwater housing design with only TTL option would be a very very good idea!! The E-M5.2 has had a lot of problems with their external flash FL‑LM3.

Too bad the E-M5.3 has no built-in flash, it's a good feature for underwater photography, the FL‑LM3 external flash in E-M1.2 & E-M5.2 underwater housing has had a lot of problems with their external flash, not working correctly. I have reading the accessory flash FL‑LM3 prone to becoming disconnected and cannot reattach without opening housing :-(

I think for compact use (size and weight) and cheaper is better option an E-M10.3 with Built-in flash but it doesn't have Weather Sealed Body and PDAF (Phase Detection Auto Focus) :-(

PDAF in EM5III and EM1II and the 20 Mpix sensors are clearly an improvement. The EM1III that is coming soon will have probably the same sensor. I do not see an advantage of EM5III over EM1II, to the contrary EM1II is slightly better.

In case I would be someone who considers to upgrade from a 16 Mpix MFT sensor, I would pull the trigger now: From time to time used Nauticam EM1II housings are advertised here for approx. half the new price and the EM1II streetprice new is around 1000 Euro. No comparison with any other new MFT camera (with similar performance) and new housing...

Wolfgang

41 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

I do not see an advantage of EM5III over EM1II, to the contrary EM1II is slightly better.

Wolfgang

I think the price and weight of the total package are important things to consider when buying

E-M1 Mark II 1.799€ (574gr)  + NA-EM1II 1.908€ ( 1950gr, 175mm (H)) = 3.707€ (2524gr)

E-M5 Mark III 1.199€ (414gr) + NA-EM5II? 1.585€ ( 1300gr, 166mm (H) ) = 2.784€ (1714gr)

The most cost effective 20 MP MFT on the market right now is the Panasonic GX9 

Camera €580 Housing €1585 new. You can get also a version with Pana 14-42 MKII kit lens ideal to get started with the nauticam WWL-1

Image quality is purely based on sensor and I use 20% of the land functions underwater so if I was looking at a B camera very light I would get the GX9

Olympus makes the best 20 Mp for stills with the OMD EM1 MKII but the rest of the range is below average for the price

5 hours ago, turandot said:

I think the price and weight of the total package are important things to consider when buying

E-M1 Mark II 1.799€ (574gr)  + NA-EM1II 1.908€ ( 1950gr, 175mm (H)) = 3.707€ (2524gr)

E-M5 Mark III 1.199€ (414gr) + NA-EM5II? 1.585€ ( 1300gr, 166mm (H) ) = 2.784€ (1714gr)

I found the gx9 at €300 before christmas.  The housing is €1500 making it €1800 amd 1500grams.  BTW THE OMD EM1MARK2 is about 1000 euros on sale so that is a good deal.  But thr housings are bigger!

I found the article where they talk about the problems with FL‑LM3 external flash in Olympus E-M1 Mark II. Olympus E-M5 Mark II & III have same flash system.

https://www.housingcamera.com/blog/buying-guides/best-underwater-cameras-2020

Cons

• Flash sync speed is only 1/250
  • Burst mode not compatible with strobes, so not as useful underwater
  • Accessory flash prone to becoming disconnected and cannot reattach without opening housing.

1/250 is fine at best you get to 1/320 on any MFT body

Second point of course 

this would be bad

No, that doesn't happen.  I've been using the EM1 mk II with the LM3 flash for two years, and before that the EM5 with the LM2 flash (which is very similar) for 5 years.  No flash has ever "become disconnected".  It's even less likely in the housing where everything is snugly fitted. 

Now, the LM3 isn't a robust unit and I've replaced it due to electrical failure, which I am not happy about, but that is different from self-disconnection!

EM5.3 body now is $999 ($200.00 Savings!) and EM5.3+14-150 lens kit now is $1399 ($400.00 Savings!) in US. Both in Amazon and getolympus.... When in Europe?

On 2/1/2020 at 1:00 AM, troporobo said:

No, that doesn't happen.  I've been using the EM1 mk II with the LM3 flash for two years, and before that the EM5 with the LM2 flash (which is very similar) for 5 years.  No flash has ever "become disconnected".  It's even less likely in the housing where everything is snugly fitted. 

Now, the LM3 isn't a robust unit and I've replaced it due to electrical failure, which I am not happy about, but that is different from self-disconnection!

Thank you very much for your information.

On 2/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, troporobo said:

I have two of the accessory flash units one from an EM-5 II and the other an EM-1 II, One of the units is prone to dis-connecting, the other not.  The one that has given trouble can twist a little in the hotshoe and lose connection, the other is fine.  I would suggest trying it out on land to confirm a small twist does not stop the flash working.  I have had at least one dive where I checked it the night before and the flash worked, but in the water it had stopped working.  I have now marked the good flash and use that all the time.

I had a look at www.Nauticam.com and saw that the housing for EM5III is already available: https://www.nauticam.com/collections/olympus-mirrorless-housings/products/na-em5iii-housing-for-olympus-om-d-e-m5-iii-camera

I must, however, say, that I am still not convinced about EM5III over EM1II: the housing comes without the handles and the shutter release lever is inferior and needs an upgrade to become comfortable ("pistol type") - then it costs similar to the NA-EM1II housing that has the handels already built in and also a very fine "shutter-lever"...

There is, by the way, aEM1III soon to appear. Presumably it will have the same sensor but better processor (=faster AF)

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis
  • Like 1

Chris, I defer to your experience. Clearly I should have said "in my experience, that hasn't happened yet"!

I found another review with accesory flash issues, in uwphotographyguide.com

https://www.uwphotographyguide.com/omd-em5-mark-ii-review

The one issue I had when shooting underwater was with the new accessory flash. I found on occasion it would disconnect, possibly it was slightly jarred from bouncing on the little panga, and I would be unable to use my flash, despite positive test shots prior to getting on the boat. I have never had this happen with previous OM-D cameras, and was unable to get it to work without opening the housing and jiggling the flash attachment. Out of 19 dives on the trip it failed on 2 of them.

Might get some good prices on the EM-1 MkII now the replacement is out -  if it's close the 1-mkII would be a better option than the 5-MkIII if only for the much bigger battery, the better housing options have been covered already - the 1-MkII housing is really quite nice to use with the shutter and back button focus setup.

Sponsors

Advertisements