ComeFromAway

Removing scratches INSIDE acrylic dome

Any tips for getting inside an acrylic dome to remove scratches? Seemed I had some sand crystals on a microfibre cloth that scratched the bejeezus out of the inside of the dome. I'm using a Nauticam 8.5" acrylic port and the opening in the rear is fairly small. The scratches don't appear in photos unless the subject is super close to the dome. I haven't actually tried to buff anything out, but it looks like it's going to be a massive PITA. And there didn't appear to be any way to remove the rear backing plate (probably for good reason...).

Thanks, but I'm specifically asking about methods or tips for physically getting inside a dome to remove scratches. I'm well versed in removing scratching from the outside of a dome...

I think you will have to replace the dome glass. Even if it was easy to get to the inside of the dome, it would be tricky to buff anything out, as the inside curvature means you can't really take a sanding block to the surface. On top of that the kind of port you own only allows very limited access to the inside.

Replacement acrylics domes are not that expensive. The problem is that they seem to not be user replaceable. Nauticam doesn't provide replacement manuals and apparently a special tool is needed. 

I have the 7" dome port and the replacement dome for that was in the region of 90€. The labour for the shops I asked ranged between 60€ and 160€, so if you go the replacement route it's worth asking for a quote beforehand.

The acrylic on Nauticam domes is user replaceable, no special tool required. The Nauticam replacement acrylic comes with a new o-ring for sealing it in with and is substantially cheaper than a new complete dome.

As for scratches on the insides - sorry, I don't have a magic bullet for you. Do they show up in photos?

Hmm. This is more or less what I expected (the difficulty of getting inside the dome may prohibit proper scratch removal and thus full replacement or at least replacement of the acrylic portion).

The other issue is you don't want to just polish out the scratch area you need to go well beyond to blend into the rest of the dome to maintain the sphericity of the dome.  There is no way to do this properly reaching in through the port/extension.

If you replace the acrylic you could attempt to repair the old dome to use as a spare, just to see how feasible such a repair is.

Sponsors

Advertisements