lwang0622

Only 1 strobe firing

HELP, I have a photo workshop in less than a month. It seems when only 1 side fires consistently and the other doesn't. I think it has to do with my left side, no flooding in housing etc. When I rearrange my strobes and cables the right side works fine but not left. Any ideas?

Screenshot_20191217-134509_Gallery.jpg

I'll check. Sometimes if I press shutter a few times both come on but not sure... you think it could also just be the battery for the flash trigger on my gh5? 

1 minute ago, lwang0622 said:

I'll check. Sometimes if I press shutter a few times both come on but not sure... you think it could also just be the battery for the flash trigger on my gh5? 

That would affect both equally the AF illuminator is on the side of the camera and may mess things up

Hi,
both cables are the same type? Both strobes as well?
Which are you using?

Edited by trimix125

Hi Lauren

What a pain.

I'm not familiar with your system so a couple of questions:

1 I'm assuming the strobes are connected by fibre optic?

2. What initiates the strobes firing? Is it the camera's in-built flash? Or do you have some sort of flash trigger connected to the camera?

3. If the latter, how many LEDs are on the trigger? If two, is one of them not working?

4. Is it always the left side that doesn't work?

5. Have you tried the right-hand fibre optic cables on the left and vice-versa but leaving the strobes as they are? You'd know then if the problem was with the cables

Thank you all for your help and response. I have a gh5 in nauticam housing and use fiber optic cords. I have 2 sea and sea ysd2 strobes. Never had any issues before until testing my equiptment now. My camera requires a flash trigger and they both fire when I look at the camera (and when I have 1 strobe in it works fine which is why I thought it was a battery issue maybe? I have tried each cord for each side and each strobe and every configuration. It's always the left side. I wiped down each connecting piece to make sure everything was clean etc. Half of the workshop is wide angle so I obviously would love to have both strobes working 

Have you tried firing the camera with the  Nauticam GH5 mini flash trigger to see if both flash triggers fire?

Yeah, I think it's my strobe the fault one only works on the right side so I'll just have to keep it on that side unless I can find a used one before my trip. Thank you for all of your input, advice etc

The standard way to look at this is elimination.  

First thing to do is swap fibre optic plugs at the housing - if you do this and the problem moves i.e. the other flash fires it is either the trigger or the cable.  If the same flash fires it means that flash, the trigger and the cables are good.  The other flash might be the problem

Step two is to swap the cables completely from left to right flash and test again.

Sounds like you have done this. 

Next you can try to trigger your flash without the camera.  Infra red remotes will often trigger a flash .  Take an IR remote point the transmitter into the fibre optic connector of the good flash and confirm it triggers the flash, when you press a button.  Now try it on the suspect flash.  If it does not trigger that confirms an issue.

Have you swapped batteries between strobes yet or tried them in different modes to see if they will trigger in a different mode - like if you are shooting manual, try TTL on the suspect strobe.

I have the same housing and the same strobes and I experienced the same issue but with the Panasonic mini flash that is way more powerful than the trigger
I also changed the cables as I have others and made no difference I then check the settings and AF illuminator was On I turned it off and had no issues since
The DS TTL though is erratic and makes no difference single or 613 cores cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

The standard way to look at this is elimination.  

First thing to do is swap fibre optic plugs at the housing - if you do this and the problem moves i.e. the other flash fires it is either the trigger or the cable.  If the same flash fires it means that flash, the trigger and the cables are good.  The other flash might be the problem

Step two is to swap the cables completely from left to right flash and test again.

Sounds like you have done this. 

Next you can try to trigger your flash without the camera.  Infra red remotes will often trigger a flash .  Take an IR remote point the transmitter into the fibre optic connector of the good flash and confirm it triggers the flash, when you press a button.  Now try it on the suspect flash.  If it does not trigger that confirms an issue.

Have you swapped batteries between strobes yet or tried them in different modes to see if they will trigger in a different mode - like if you are shooting manual, try TTL on the suspect strobe.

Totally, the first thing to check is to try and figure out where the problem is and track the root cause (can be applied to almost anything in life :))

It's likely to be the 3 things really:

1. Cable

2. Strobe

3. Trigger

Of those 3, it could be batteries, malfunction, degraded quality (dirt preventing them from carrying enough light through) etc.

Go with the most basic setup, test 1 at a time, swap them, try different modes on both strobes etc.

10 hours ago, lwang0622 said:

Yeah, I think it's my strobe the fault one only works on the right side so I'll just have to keep it on that side unless I can find a used one before my trip. Thank you for all of your input, advice etc

Are you saying that both strobes work on the left but only one works on the right side even swapping cables?

Have you tried using a q-tip and cleaning the port hole where the fiber optic cable plug in? Might have some scuzzy in there. Also, fire the camera with no fiber optic cables attached and observe the ports. Is the flash equally bright on both sides?

Bob W

Yes I've looked thru my cables at eye level and the flash fires on both sides and I ordered a new battery cap and strobe and will just have the other one sent back. I've cleaned the contacts thoroughly etc. And trouble shouted with the shop I ordered with. Thank you 

Sponsors

Advertisements