rgilkes

Keldan 8x vs Big Blue 15000 vs Sola 15000 vs ???

I can't find a single real comparison review of the higher output video lights on the market.

Any info on how these three lights (or any others in similar category) perform against each other? What are the real world advantages/disadvantages?

Following this. I have Sola 3600s/9600s and Scubalamp V6K. The performance of the V6K is very good,  build quality  and customer service of the Solas is as expected from L&M.  I have a friend who has the 8Xs,  and we hope to go diving soon to get some first hand experience.  Not answer to your question, but hopefully  may get wiser in the end.  

• Like 1

As keldan is 15min by car from my home, I would always choose the keldan over any other... 

Keldan is pretty modular, good depth rating and odd colored :-) 

Keldan and sola have a different philosophy
Keldan has batteries that you can replace sola has integrated and fast charger
On the field I find sola easier to use but for back to back dive gloves etc keldan are preferable
Big blue I have never used but I think they are inferior league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Spitfire said:

you can replace the batteries of the solas aswell… basic soldering and shrinktube :)

You don't need a solder they now have standard units however you need to open them and then you can't charge outside the proprietary unit.

Many people do not like this level of dependency on fast chargers but then is subjective

Thanks guys. This is some good feedback.

My main concern though, is more about light quality. Really want to know the differences between the higher output lights (13k+ lumens) in terms of CRI, falloff, light strength over the length of the battery (does it dim or degrade as battery dies), etc. Fast chargers, batteries, etc. are much lower concern to me, especially at the price point of the lights I'm asking about.

Edited by rgilkes

CRI are a feature of the LED array that those manufacturers take from the specs sola and keldan have had 92 since long time

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

These lights all use the same COB LEDs (other than the Big Blue, which is not a good option, IMO), so the differences between the quality of the light are minimal. More meaningful differences exist between the beam angle and ergonomics. Note that both the Keldan and the Sola have 120/110 degree beam angles, which is a waste unless you're solely filming video with a fisheye.

Unless build quality and ergonomics are much more important to you than price, I'd look into the DivePro G18 Plus lights (the Jaunt G18 in the post above).

• Like 2

@dreifish Thanks for the link. I think you have just swayed me towards the G18 Plus.

In UK
Keldan £1490
DivePro £1299
Sola £1490

For £200 don’t buy DivePro as they are not useable for Macro as the dimming switch os rubbish
If you find them cheap OK but practically you will only use them for wide angle

41 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

In UK
Keldan £1490
DivePro £1299
Sola £1490

I think you’re quoting a Keldan 4x (9k lumen) vs the G18 (18k lumen). The Keldan 8x is far more expensive....

I think you’re quoting a Keldan 4x (9k lumen) vs the G18 (18k lumen). The Keldan 8x is far more expensive....

Yes 4x
But sola is 15000 and I would get that for the price if you don’t have other lights
i have divepro g18+ and a pair of sola 1200 as the divepro dimmer is useless

4 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

i have divepro g18+ and a pair of sola 1200 as the divepro dimmer is useless

I will give the Sola's a try. Local shops here in the US carry Keldan and Sola so I can test those. The Divepro lights I have never seen carried in-store so I will have to take everyone's word here on Wetpixel. The dimming on the Divepro does seem a bit difficult, especially trying to match up two lights.

I will give the Sola's a try. Local shops here in the US carry Keldan and Sola so I can test those. The Divepro lights I have never seen carried in-store so I will have to take everyone's word here on Wetpixel. The dimming on the Divepro does seem a bit difficult, especially trying to match up two lights.

Match the lights is only possible at full and half power
Google
Interceptor121 DivePro g18 review

@Interceptor121 how do you deal with the Sola's not having changeable batteries for 2-3 tank dives? Fast charger of 105min seems too long to charge during surface intervals.

[mention=34353]Interceptor121[/mention] how do you deal with the Sola's not having changeable batteries for 2-3 tank dives? Fast charger of 105min seems too long to charge during surface intervals.

It may be a problem if you keep them always on. Except some specific scenarios I don’t so they will still be 50% and you can top them up
Keldan ergonomics are the best from that point of view...but expensive especially as spare batteries are not cheap

On 2/23/2020 at 1:38 AM, Interceptor121 said:

It may be a problem if you keep them always on. Except some specific scenarios I don’t so they will still be 50% and you can top them up
Keldan ergonomics are the best from that point of view...but expensive especially as spare batteries are not cheap

Well, I ended up getting a really good deal on a Sola 15K so I will give my feedback in a few weeks. If I like the light and find the battery life/external module cost aren't prohibitive, I will purchase a second one. Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Well, I ended up getting a really good deal on a Sola 15K so I will give my feedback in a few weeks. If I like the light and find the battery life/external module cost aren't prohibitive, I will purchase a second one. Thanks for your help!

Excellent let us know how you get on

Sponsors

Advertisements