Sign in to follow this  
hyp

Wet lenses and red filters

I am currently kitting out an old LX7 for video. I own a Saga +10 and a UWL-H100 wet lens and I am wondering how I am going to deal with the different requirements for red filters. I'm going on a trip to Bali (Manta Point) and Lembeh in February. For Macro I will use a single 3000lm Light but for Wide Angle I was planning to use red filters. 

The question is: Which one? I've seen a 10Bar Red filter that slide on top of the UWL-H100. The other option would be to use a gel filter sheet inside the housing. This would take away the option of removing the filter in case I go lower than 15m. 

On dives where I would shoot predominantly macro I am also wondering how I would deal with the macro converter (preferably on a flip adapter) and a red filter. 

Generally I want to use only equipment that I already own, apart from the Flip adapter (a double flip might still be an option) and the filters. I know having more (powerful) lights would be the best solution, but it is not in the cards financially.

I shoot video exclusively and have used a 4/3 high end camera and now a prosumer video camera. Through trial and error, I find that a flip blue water filter is the best for wide angle and a good video light (close up/macro) is best combo for color correction. I tried the gel and found I was very disappointed when (as is normal for me) when my dive changed and there were missed shots!!

Hope this helps and good luck!

4 hours ago, hyp said:

I am currently kitting out an old LX7 for video. I own a Saga +10 and a UWL-H100 wet lens and I am wondering how I am going to deal with the different requirements for red filters. I'm going on a trip to Bali (Manta Point) and Lembeh in February. For Macro I will use a single 3000lm Light but for Wide Angle I was planning to use red filters. 

The question is: Which one? I've seen a 10Bar Red filter that slide on top of the UWL-H100. The other option would be to use a gel filter sheet inside the housing. This would take away the option of removing the filter in case I go lower than 15m. 

On dives where I would shoot predominantly macro I am also wondering how I would deal with the macro converter (preferably on a flip adapter) and a red filter. 

Generally I want to use only equipment that I already own, apart from the Flip adapter (a double flip might still be an option) and the filters. I know having more (powerful) lights would be the best solution, but it is not in the cards financially.

Manta point is shallow you can white balance without a filter

Lembeh the water is ugly and with few exception the reef not pretty just take some lights for the few dives where there is some wide angle

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements