Sign in to follow this  
jjmochi

Ipad work flow

I recently bought an ipad pro and cannot figure out an easy workflow. I am quite new and not looking to do anything complicated, basically only want to:

1) import photos from SD card directly into ipad -> I have 2 problems here. When I copy the SD card jpegs into a folder "On My Ipad" it does not import automatically into photo library. The only way it does that is if I duplicate the image. Also I cannot sort by date/details/etc to easily only copy the photos I want to copy, like on Windows. I find it quite cumbersome to scroll through/select everything, especially as I do not like to delete old images on my sd card until full.

2) use a combination of dive+ app and lightroom to color correct / do minor adjustments. With the dive+ app it does not recognize the photos unless it's in photo library, which means I have to first copy the image then duplicate. So now I have 2 copies of the same image, run it through dive+, it saves a 3rd copy, and somehow wipes out the metadata (capture date, f-stop, shutter speed, etc). After dive+ I also want to run through lightroom, but when I import it becomes totally unorganized (unable to sort by date, time, or even name - dive+ at least names the files in the order it was saved, but lightroom imports it randomly). When I export after making whatever adjustments in lightroom it saves a 4th copy to photo library. If I want to use photoshop it saves a 5th copy. My storage space is running out fast.

The screen on my ipad pro looks a lot better than my windows laptop which is why I was hoping to use ipad pro for everything/ dive+ is only available on ios/android, but organization is a lot easier on windows. I have been learning lightroom but find it is much faster to use dive+, and sometimes the result is better than what I could do myself. 

There must be an easier way to do this without saving 5 copies of the same image and losing all means of organization?

Easiest way would be to scrap dive+. Import straight to LR. Export only when needed. Dive+ is supposed to be a one shop stop solution. If it needs further editing, maybe just start in a more capable editor straight away. 

Also, shoot RAW pictures, and import RAW files into LR.

LR can process them easily, and you will get much more room to adjust/correct pictures

Thanks, shooting in raw and doing my own editing instead of using dive+ is one of the things I want to work on this year. It seems easiest way is to use lightroom for everything, and scrap not only dive+ but also the iPad's native photo library? 

Correct. Since apple allowed direct import into LR this has become the easiest way. You can also sync back to your computer at home, so if you want to work on a bigger screen after returning from a trip you can keep all your edits.

The only downside to the adobe solution is their obnoxious business model. They know they have the industry standard and they abuse that fact to its limit.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements